New guy interested in GTV6

Started by Aussieotto, May 10, 2020, 09:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aussieotto

Folks,

Never owned a Alfa but since I was a young man wanted a gtv6 ,recently funding committee approved getting another hobby car.  I have reasonable skills (buildt a clubman) so not scared of a little work. Currently there is a red gtv6  at dealer south if ADELAIDE and silver one on private sale in SA .  Often there is knowledge in car clubs re history good and bad on local cars. Interested if anyone here knows these cars , dm me if you want to keep knowledge private,

what I should look out for in general ( I have read most of web pages I can) re rust etc . I will use it for Sunday drives, odd longer trip and maybe once or twice a year a track day .

Thanks

Peter

GTVeloce

Hi Peter

Good luck finding a nice GTV6!

As far as suggestions go: rust repairs and general body work will be the most expensive area if needed. Plastic body and trim pieces are hard to come by in good condition i.e. bumpers, spoiler etc. Interior parts in good condition are also hard to come by. Mechanical parts are generally very available and nothing is too tricky to work on at home. Engines are fairly straight forward and quite reliable. Gearboxes are not. Well, they won't leave you stranded on the side of the road but often they won't be in great condition unless they are recently been rebuilt and then driven by someone who knows how to drive one. Rubber parts in the driveline also wear out but aren't hard to come by. Suspension parts are also easy to source and not too expensive.

So to sum up: it depends what you are chasing. If you don't mind the car being a little rough in places you shouldn't have much to worry about. If you want a concourse car I suggest you buy the best one you can find to start with. Personally I would buy the best body and interior I could find. Mechanical parts are easy to source, (relatively) cheap and if you are handy you can work on them yourself.

Aussieotto

Thanks for advice , I have built a clubman so mechanical work is good. I am total shit at bodywork.

julianB

If you're after an investment, keeping it relatively factory is mandatory.
These cars fetch the best prices but you are restricted!

My experience with modifying the car over 20 years of ownership led to fitting Motorsport oriented parts and it toughened the car up and helped reliability.

As usual, with all older cars of euro heritage, servicing can add up if they have been neglected but will make them a much better drive. There are plenty of trick parts out there on the net for suspension that mean, if you're going to need to do bushes etc, you can save to buy the trick parts and just overhaul the whole lot in one go.

Again, if you don't mind modifying, a 75 TS box is a must - better ratios and LSD.
85 GTV6 "Juliet"
GTA conversion-
AHM ITB setup, Jim K manifolds & 10.3 cams, M84
17" Work Meister S1R
330mm Brembo front, vented rears
RS coilovers and bits
Recaro LX mesh headrest buckets

'68 step nose Junior "Romeo"
bare metal project

Aussieotto

Well I have gone and done it, I know own a 1984 gtv6 that has been fitted with 3.0 engine. Only issue is it's in Melbourne, hopefully get it here soon.

Thanks for help.

Peter

martym00se72

Nice one Peter! Make sure to join the Alfa Romeo Owners club so we can all perv on it at show n shines etc (once this Corona thing gets under control fully). Love to share notes with other GTV6 owners - the 3.0 is fun in the GTV6 :)
'83 GTV6 - 3.0 is in! Ohhh yeah!
'99 156 T-spark - Formula 98 ready!

What do people do with their old 2.5...?