Who's taken their Alfa 159 into the Victorian Alps?

Started by Maltalfisti, May 07, 2020, 11:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maltalfisti

If you go check out the latest weather reports from the Mt Hotham ski resort, you'll see that May has been icey cold already and theyve recently had a dumping of snow. Made me think again about driving my new Alfa in the high country.

Okay, so there's these COVID-19 travel restrictions, but, y'know, at some stage I'd like to get up there!

However, I had intended to get the Q4 sportswagon. But I ended up with a standard front wheel drive 159 Ti. The Sedan to boot. So much for squeezing a dog in the back, hah!

Which means it also has 19" low profile Kumho tyres. Great for the regular highway commutes, but not exactly what you'd call winter tyres I guess.

So, has anyone ever taken their Alfa 159 up into the Victorian snow country? And, who hasn't done this in a Q4?

Suggestions? Thoughts? Wisdom?

I know the basics of driving in the snow on the flat, having spent some months in Alberta. But My Hotham and the likes isn't quite so flat as farmland Alberta.

What are the recommendations for Ti snowchains? Again, not the best wheel for snowchain fitting and driving in icey conditions. But it is a European car, so I'd expect them to be fine for driving in some snow, like in a European winter.
The only problem with the GTV6? They forgot to install the flux capacitor...

kaleuclint

Don't do it!!

Seriously, on trips to Buller the car (and it'll be my Mercedes, the 159 can't carry all the skis inside) doesn't go beyond the gate.  There has been some fun on the drive up though, needing to beat the bus to Mirimbah.  These days it gets left in Mansfield near the bus depot.

I used to have a well thought out and well equipped procedure for the chains: coat, multigrips, rigger gloves, groundsheet.  And the snow shovel of course for coming back.  Could not be bothered anymore.  If it was feasible to leave the car near the metro Melbourne departure points for the bus, I'd take it all the way and relax. 

I've also had to repaint a car due to chain damage.
2011 159ti 1750TBi

bazzbazz

Quote from: kaleuclint on May 08, 2020, 06:20:51 PM
I've also had to repaint a car due to chain damage.

Been there, done that!  >:(

Listen to the sage advice, Italian sports cars and snow chains DO NOT go well together, no matter WHAT the advertising hype and glossy brochures may suggest.   ::)
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

kaleuclint

If you want to drive on snow, you want a Saab!!

2011 159ti 1750TBi

Maltalfisti

Quote from: kaleuclint on May 08, 2020, 06:34:50 PM
If you want to drive on snow, you want a Saab!!
So what you're saying is I should take the classic 900 Aero out to the snow?  ;D

bazzbazz

Only if you want to drive one of THE ugliest cars ever built!  ;)

:) :) :)
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

kaleuclint

I'd take ANY Saab above the snowline ahead of an Alfa.  My GM900 was brilliant on snow, and it was really an Opel.

Like Bazz says, don't fall for the hype.  Off the snow you'd rather be in an Alfa of course!
2011 159ti 1750TBi

CDH1750

I believe, from reading the owners manual, that you can't fit chains to the 159.
Something to do with the front suspension components being close by and could be damaged by a loose chain

Micheloaks

Quote from: kaleuclint on May 10, 2020, 06:57:16 PM
I'd take ANY Saab above the snowline ahead of an Alfa.  My GM900 was brilliant on snow, and it was really an Opel.

Like Bazz says, don't fall for the hype.  Off the snow you'd rather be in an Alfa of course!

agree !

Happily drive a 900 aero anywhere, a 99 turbo even more 🥰 anyone have one with burnt orange velour interior ?

Used to drive my much loved 33 Quattro into the Brindabellas during snow time . Wide borbets.

Maltalfisti

Looks like I'll have to do up the old SAAB then... and get that heater working...  8)

Maltalfisti

In other news, have you ever driven your 159 above the snow line in wintery Tasmania?

Will be there late June, and parking in a hotel carpark, so it may not be too bad.

Juicymango

I've had some success with Autosocks instead of snow chains in my old 3.2 159
2002 147 2.0 T Spark
2007 159 3.2 V6 Q4
2013 Giulietta QV