Nuts that hold the hand throttle and choke levers on - loctite?

Started by Alfetta77, May 02, 2020, 05:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alfetta77

Hi everyone, about to install the hand throttle and choke levers. There seems to be nothing stopping the nuts fastening the levers to the bracket loosening, potentially meaning the levers won't hold - is it worth some Loctite? - or am I over-thinking this? Thanks, Mark
Current:  Alfetta GTV 1977 Silver
Previous: Alfetta GTV 1980 Red

bonno

Hi Mark
Not necessary  to use Loctite on the screws, just tighten enough to prevent the cable sheath from sliding is all that is required.
Cheers
bonno 

GTVeloce

It's just a bowden cable you are clamping so it shouldn't come undone. As an example, the heater box on my 75 uses small plastics pieces with a single screw to hold the bowden cables down (for heater control and air direction control) and they work fine too.

Alfetta77

Thanks for replies, sounds like it will be fine. Cheers, Mark

Beatle

Mark,

Are you talking about the small nut/bolt used to clamp the cable sheath (brown in your pic), or the large nut (silver in your pic) which attaches both levers to the same 'axle' and provides the friction adjustment to hold the levers in their selected positions?

Either way you don't need loctite.  If you do use it, don't let it leak where it shouldn't or you may find it locks the cable inside the sheath, or the lever to the axle.

I can't recall ever needing to regularly adjust the friction nut on those levers.
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

Alfetta77

Hi Beatle, I'm meaning the large nuts x 2 which attach both levers to the 'axle'. I found they loosened very easily so ended up using some red (low strength) Loctite which seems to have done the trick. Cheers, Mark