105 Hydraulic Clutch Modification

Started by njh1964, April 20, 2020, 07:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njh1964

Hi All,

When I did the Twin Spark engine swap into my GT1300 Junior, I upgraded to a 2lt gearbox and bell housing, and I converted from the original cable clutch system to a hydraulic clutch system using stock Alfa clutch parts.

However, only a couple of years after the conversion, I had to replace the clutch slave cylinder because it started leaking. I sourced the original cylinder from a reputable supplier, so I don't think is was a cheap knockoff. Also, I found that I had to extend the slave cylinder push rod about 7-8mm because the rod that came with the slave cylinder would not extend far enough to fully disengage the clutch plate from the flywheel. I'm sure that can't be normal, but I'm at a lost to understand why a stock Alfa slave cylinder would not fit my upgraded but still stock hydraulic clutch setup.

Anyway, thinking ahead to a time where it may be even more difficult to source good quality slave cylinders, I'm wondering if it would be possible to replace the stock Alfa slave cylinder, clutch fork and throw out bearing with an aftermarket hydraulic throw out bearing kit? Has anyone done that for 105 clutch assembly?

Cheers,

Nick
Now:
1968 Alfa Romeo GT 1300 Junior - Complete Restoration Project
2002 Alfa Romeo 147 Twin Spark - Track Day Car
Previously:
1974 Alfasud TI - First Car

rowan_bris

I have had the same issue before, but hadn't realised that most of the cylinders sold these days are junk.  The genuine and much more expensive Benditalia cylinder solved the problem.  The cheaper stuff is junk.

njh1964

Any problems with the slave cylinder push rod being too short?
Now:
1968 Alfa Romeo GT 1300 Junior - Complete Restoration Project
2002 Alfa Romeo 147 Twin Spark - Track Day Car
Previously:
1974 Alfasud TI - First Car