Best Car Batteries for the 159: Suggestions?

Started by Maltalfisti, April 06, 2020, 06:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaleuclint

In that case Bazz, every two and four wheeled vehicle I have is fitted with AGM (just did not know that...).  The 159 can be fitted with either.  Be interested in the price comparison between the Varta F19 ($355 at Battery Base) and the Fiamm VR800.

Fiamm does have Titanium (flooded) range up to 950CCA as well but doesn't seem to have one 315mm length and 190mm high for the 159.  Confusing.
2011 159ti 1750TBi

Winno

Northstar 840CCA
not cheap but worth it for my application.

Maltalfisti

Thanks folks! Interesting, I never thought of the stop-start situation. Good point!

Turns out my battery just needed a couple of good highway runs, but I'll sure take note of your suggestions when I next go shopping for one. Most informative!
The only problem with the GTV6? They forgot to install the flux capacitor...

As the day goes

Quote from: kaleuclint on April 11, 2020, 02:18:11 PM
Varta F18 Silver.  800CCA.  Made in Germany.  Batteries may have a three year effective lifespan these days; mine is nine years old.  You might pay more for a Varta, but factor in the time and hassle of a roadside assistance callout.

There's space at the front of the battery bracket allowing you to fit a bigger version than standard.  Do your research and get the correct height too, or the hold-down strap will flop around.

EDIT:  Battery Base has the F19:
https://thebatterybase.com.au/categories/car-batteries/volkswagen-car-batteries/passat-2-0-bluetdi-diesel-fwd-sedan-wagon/01-09-11-10/varta-battery-f19-silver-dynamic-585-400-080//

Do yourself another favour and fit a Ctek connector (for charging the battery) whilst you are it.  Admittedly I have never needed to use this on a Varta, but it's there.  If you want to go nuts fit an Antigravity lead as well -- this enables you to start the car from the pocket-sized remote battery if needed.

Interesting that the F18 and F19 are the same price, yet the F19 has slightly more grunt.  The extra height of the F19 is not an issue too.

Looking at replacing my F18. After 4 years it now shows only  a 44% good rating on my battery scan tool which is the replace zone. Even though it says this, it has plenty of grunt to start the engine.  But me thinks I will suffer a cold start issue soon.

kaleuclint

That's disappointing!  My Mercedes has a nine year old Varta too -- AGM, and it seems fine (in for service today; maybe I'll learn otherwise).

Definitely considering Fiamm for the Alfa.  Should probably look at Century too.
2011 159ti 1750TBi

As the day goes

Well went to Everyready Heidelberg from where I had bought the Varta.  They cleaned the points and tested it and said it is still okay and I should get at least a couple of more years  from it.  So the $80 battery tester was being conservative.   They said keep it on the charger continually as I dont drive the car much too.

So while they could have sold me a battery, they did the right thing by me.  recommended

pasey25

Quote from: Australia on June 23, 2020, 01:36:50 PM
Well went to Everyready Heidelberg from where I had bought the Varta.  They cleaned the points and tested it and said it is still okay and I should get at least a couple of more years  from it.  So the $80 battery tester was being conservative.   They said keep it on the charger continually as I dont drive the car much too.

So while they could have sold me a battery, they did the right thing by me.  recommended

same place I got my varta (and its warranty replacement) good lads.
Current:
1969 Lancia Fulvia 1.3s Coupe
1967 Lancia Fulvia Berlina GT
2017 Abarth 595 Competizione
1991 Alfa SZ #440
1967 Fiat 850
1966 Fiat 850
1969 Giulia Super
1989 Alfa 75 Twin Spark

Past:
1967 Lancia Fulvia Berlina GT
2005 147 GTA Monza Sele 59/100
2001 156 Monza Sele 2.0TS
2010 159 TI 2.4 SW

kaleuclint

Per my previous post, the technicians at ProStar advise my Mercedes' Varta AGM is functioning at 44%.  Not unexpected some nine years since it was fitted.  Suspect I'll get the same again from Battery Base to replace it.

Also up for a stretched cam chain replacement at $3500.  Makes a 159 cam belt job seem cheap!
2011 159ti 1750TBi

As the day goes

Quote from: kaleuclint on June 27, 2020, 10:58:26 PM
Per my previous post, the technicians at ProStar advise my Mercedes' Varta AGM is functioning at 44%.  Not unexpected some nine years since it was fitted.  Suspect I'll get the same again from Battery Base to replace it.

Also up for a stretched cam chain replacement at $3500.  Makes a 159 cam belt job seem cheap!

Ouch!!!!!!

kaleuclint

At least that's all inclusive, though engine mounts will need replacing too.

I though it was $3500 just for the kit initially.
2011 159ti 1750TBi