Cam cover removal - won't come off!

Started by Alfetta77, April 04, 2020, 02:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alfetta77

Hi everyone, trying to remove my 116 Nord engine cam cover. Stuck fast, so used a block of wood wedged under the crankcase breather assembly and a hammer at the other end to try and drive it upwards. Still stuck. Lots of goopy blue sealant around the edges so overuse of same may be contributing to the problem? I can't see any pry points and I don't want to use a screwdriver for fear of damaging the mating surfaces. Any suggestions welcome!
Current:  Alfetta GTV 1977 Silver
Previous: Alfetta GTV 1980 Red

bonno

You could try using a stanley knife or something similar to carefully cut along the joint line, then tap with wooden block under the tappet cover.
Hope this helps
bonno

Craig_m67

It's not one with two bolts/machine screws at the front that come up from underneath is it?
(Only early nords from memory, but perhaps it's not an original donk)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Alfetta77

Thanks Bono, will give that a try. Craig - yes, two small bolts at front.

Alfetta77

Thanks Bonno - came off! Used a knife to cut into the gasket, then a hammered a plastic scraper from Bunnings in around the edge. This trashed enough of the gasket and sealing goop to get it off. Only a few minor knife marks and only on the cam cover not the head, thankfully.

bonno

Good news and when re installing the cam cover I recommend using an OEM  cover gasket after cleaning the mating surfaces of old gasket and marks.
Regards
bonno

kaleuclint

About to remove the oil pan from an R100RS; checked out how to put it back before doing that.

This is a very practical video primer on reassembling oil pans (equally applicable to cam covers) @6:50:
https://youtu.be/oqhnlo7s_nk
2011 159ti 1750TBi