Alfa 90 transaxle half shaft seals.

Started by Dishy, March 27, 2020, 06:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dishy

Hello All,
       I have a leak at the passenger side output from my transaxle. I have removed the half shaft to try and fix the leak. It looks like there was no seal between the mounting flange and the diff casing so I will fix that with liquid gasket. But before I do that I assume there is an oil seal between the mounting flange and the shaft. Considering everything I have had to do to get to the half shaft I should also replace that oil seal just in case. I have attached a picture of the half shaft as it is at the moment. Can anybody recommend a way to get the shaft out of the flange without destroying everything?

Dishy

bonno

Hi Dishy
You will need a press to disassemble the inner drive shaft from its components. Find attached applicable extract of workshop manual.
Cheers
bonno

bonno

Here is a magnified copy of the extract.

vin sharp

Dishy, yes there is a seal, common enough size you can get from a bearing supplier.
The only part from Bonno's instructions that applies to you is #12.

105gta

Hi Dishy, furthering on from Vin's post, when pressing it apart, make sure you support the alloy flange as close to the centre as possible and as much of its diameter as possible. Ive had more than one customer looking for a replacement after snapping the reasonably brittle and thin mounting flange.
Also the bearing, while generally trouble free, is a standard size as well if you have any doubts about it while you've got it all apart.
Ben
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce (WIP)
1985 GTV6 (WIP)