Noob here from Melbourne - ALFA virgin

Started by BIGPOCKETS, March 27, 2020, 05:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BIGPOCKETS

Hi all, am new to this forum & the world of ALFA  :P

I'm thinking of buying a 147GTA, as much as I love my VW Golf Gti DSG  w/sunroof (awesome car), I wish I'd bought a manual (nothing wrong with this box)....just "missing" something.
I've just driven a GTA Selespeed & I think it's a matter of getting used to the "box"....

So a few Qs for the current/past owners & ALFisti out there:
:) 147 GTA SELESPEED - Yay or Nay - is it a matter of preference or is the manual really that much better, i found the SS a bit "harsh" as it isn't smooth compared to the Dual Clutch.
(Probably need to get used to it - I know that...) thoughts?
:D Ride was really hard/harsh, would it have suspension issues or is the GTA just a stiff suspension?
8) Sunroofs on ALFAs - reliable?

I cam away from the drive thinking of it a a "mini-Ferrari" & described it as a "little monster", "mini sledge hammer"...definitely not a quiet & sophisticated drive - but that's the point right?

grazie mille!  8)
BP

bazzbazz

Quote from: BIGPOCKETS on March 27, 2020, 05:54:05 PM
:) 147 GTA SELESPEED - Yay or Nay - is it a matter of preference or is the manual really that much better, i found the SS a bit "harsh" as it isn't smooth compared to the Dual Clutch.
(Probably need to get used to it - I know that...) thoughts?

I myself prefer Selespeeds, but then mine is always calibrated and adjusted properly, and this is where most selespeed issues stem from. They are supposed to be calibrated and adjusted during your annual service, but rarely are. A properly adjusted/calibrated  Selespeed with pump & accumulator in good condition are a thrill/delight to drive, anyone who says otherwise just simply has never driven one setup properly. Be aware, the Selespeed in the 147GTA is a completely different beast than the units fitted to the 4 cylinder cars.

:D Ride was really hard/harsh, would it have suspension issues or is the GTA just a stiff suspension?

The original suspension setup of the 147 GTA was a good compromise between ride and handling, unfortunately most 147 GTAs have had their suspension "upgraded" by the owner, and fitted with stiffer springs and shocks. Great if all you do is drive on a race track, but unfortunately results in a shockingly harsh ride over typical Australian road surfaces. 

8) Sunroofs on ALFAs - reliable?

I personally have never had been called on to repair a sunroof, and the one on my 2004 156 Wagon is still working perfectly.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Craig_m67

Get it bought... you will always regret it otherwise.

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

alanm

Yes, great car, some would say a future classic.

Loved the Top Gear review, conclusion was that the Golf was technically a better car in almost every respect, but one of boys summed it up by saying that they would be on his way to a VW dealer, then change direction and buy the GTA. Heart over head. The cars personality is cultured Italian who can handle himself in a street fight.

Factor a diff upgrade if it hasn't had one already (Q2 or Quaife?) and a cambelt kit with waterpump into the price if the car is approaching 4 years since its last one. As you might know already the factory diff is no match for the Busso 3.2.
Cheers,
Al.
Present
1987 75 TS Rosso
2001 GTV V6 Nero
2001 156 V6 Monza Rosso
Past
1986 GTV6 Grand Prix
1988 33

BIGPOCKETS

Thank you all for your replies.
The car has FULL service history & had its belt changed about a year ago & Q2 fitted.
I think I may have to take it out again for another drive.....

A couple of more questions if I may...
8) Aftermarket sunroof experience?
:o How about 18" wheels which will help the look (& maybe factor in some coil-overs?)

grazie mille

bonno

Hi
With regards to sunroof, just check that it is functioning correctly open and closes without any unusual noises and check that it is leak proof, by hosing it around the seal area. Also whilst performing leak test, ensure drain holes are not blocked (visually checking underside of vehicle for evidence of water). With respect to coil overs and wheels this is a matter of taste, future plans and budget (weekend racer  daily driver/cruiser).

poohbah

As for Alfa sunroof reliability - the one on my '81 GTV still works!
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

BIGPOCKETS

...crazy weeks / months ahead....my dream of a 147GTA will have to wait. Be well & stay healthy everyone!

Maltalfisti

I saw a 147 Ducati Corse for sale a few months back. Very few around, maybe what – 50 to 100 in Australia? In any case, keep an eye out!
The only problem with the GTV6? They forgot to install the flux capacitor...

warsch

Aren't Ducati Corse all 1.9 turbo diesels? It's a great engine but just not everyone's cup of tea.

It even can be easily tuned up to almost 300 bhp at the crank without changing engine internals.