Refurbish OEM Alfetta Mag wheels - How to Guide.

Started by bonno, March 17, 2020, 04:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bonno

Find below are Before and After photos of the wheels, that feature a polished aluminium lip and fins, together with a painted black face and all finished off in clear coat. Please note that the slotted sections of the wheel are to be left in bare cast aluminium finish.
I also have included a brief 3 step process on how it is done, bearing in mind that this refurb is quite labour intensive and will take a considerable amount of time for each wheel approx. 3 hours per wheel.
I have included below a material list and tools required to undertake the job.
1.   Paint stripper (1 litre tin).
2.   Wet and dry sand paper 240, 600 & 1200 grit.
3.   Buffing pads – various (angle grinder & die grinder/dremil).
4.   Buffing sticks.
5.   Etch primer (400 gram aerosol can).
6.   Acrylic paint gloss black (400 gram aerosol can) .
7.   Acrylic Thinners (4 litres).
8.   Acrylic clear (500 ml).
9.   Safety glasses, mask & rubber gloves.
Cost estimate for materials $150.

Paul Gulliver

Well done Bonno. Neat professional looking job as usual. What was the time component of this project
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

bonno

Thanks Paul. Approximately 3 hours per wheel with the most time consuming part was wet sand lip and fin areas. You really need to get them right to enable buffing to a mirror like finish.  I also added some text in my original post to include clear coat to ensure long term finish (oxidising layer if not treated with clear).

bonno

Further to my previous post, I have included some photos of air grinding/dremmel attachments to assist in the cleaning of the slotted sections and buffing of finn areas. Additionally have included a comparison photo of Simmons versus OEM wheels fitted on the car, ready for fitting of suitable tyres. I would be looking at same size currently fitted 205/55R15, but unsure of the brand of tyre at this stage.