Scratch Removal

Started by ricardo, March 10, 2020, 08:37:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ricardo

Alfa Romeo Giulietta Veloce 20017 – Location Melbourne
Hi, a small question. The grey lacquer paint on the external rear vision mirror has been grazed. The cost of getting this repaired by a panel beater is prohibitively expensive. Cheaper buying a new replacement. Has any member used or had experience with (generally mobile) 'dent and scratch removal' repairs? How does the paint stand up to the external weather? Thank you in anticipation.

Italian Supermodel

Hi Ricardo, 
  my experience after speaking with a couple of mobile scratch and dent businesses is they're 'prohibitively expensive '.
Honestly there are dozens of u-tube segments that will walk you through the fairly simple process of masking up, sanding, spraying colour, then clear over the area.
One tip is to get the exact colour matched and put into a pressure can ( approx $35), clear is approx $15.
   Good luck.

rowan_bris

My experience of the scratch and dint people in Brisbane is that the paintwork is poor quality with the site of the repairs obvious.  I would take the cover off and get a panel beater to paint it, or find a wrecked car in the same colour as an alternative.

bonno

Hi Ricardo
I take it that you have done your enquiries on repair costs for the mirror and have decided that using mobile repair service or a panel shop  are both out.  The only other option apart from sourcing a second hand part to match (availablity),  is to repair it yourself as indicated above. My only advice is to get a colour match of the car colour code and proper surface preparation prior to paint. The "How to" guides on Youtube will assist greatly in this area and the aerosol cans mixed up by local auto paint suppliers will provide you with the desired finish that should last for many years to come.  NB : For reference purposes it would have been better to have it posted on 940 Series Alfas.
cheers
bonno