Spider 916 3.2 rubbing brakes? when on full lock

Started by Felix Kulakowski, March 08, 2020, 05:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Felix Kulakowski

Bit of an odd one BUT would appreciate any ideas, suggestions. My 916 spider 3.2 V6 appears to have developed an odd condition that when steering is at full lock ( and it appears to be right lock more than left ) it feels like the brakes are being applied ....that is a very definite dragging/braking feel. I jacked up both front axels so I could inspect the under carriage and be able steer and rotate both front wheels but nothing seemed obvious. Even got D. Bando ( neighbour ) to have a swizz and he couldn't see anything obvious either. Fluids, pipes, calipers etc etc all seem ok and of course spotlessly clean....so any feedback would be most appreciated......Felix

bonno

Hi Felix
Are the brake pads low and do they show signs of uneven wear? If so, I would replace them and see if this eliminates the dragging problem. If this does not cure the problem then you may have a sticking piston on that caliper.
Regards
bonno

bazzbazz

Check to see if there is any signs of wear/rubbing on the inside guard liners.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Felix Kulakowski

Not that I can see. Everything ship shape and Bristol fashion.......but it can't hurt to have another geez.....I mean its not like there's much else to do these days. I very much appreciate your reply.....F

Beatle

Are you sure it's the brake?  Maybe the CV is beyond its working angle.  Or the load on power steering at full lock is sufficient to drop drive power to the wheels.  Have you checked it in neutral?

You could try jacking it up under the control arms so it's sitting at the same compression as when on the ground (on axle stands), engine running, and have someone turn the tiller while you CAREFULLY check if the brakes drag.

Or, leave it on the ground, slip a feeler gauge between pad and rotor, go full lock and see if the feeler is gripped.

Does the 916 have any of the electronic driver aids of the later cars.  i.e any three letter acronyms (TLA).  ABS, VDC, EBC etc

Tried it on loose gravel with someone watching?  Just to determine if its braking or due to significant scrub radius delta between the front wheels.  Any clunks from the front end?
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd