Longer carburettor mounts

Started by DHDamo, April 22, 2015, 10:16:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DHDamo

Ok, thanks men. Will see what I've actually got when my father digs them out and I'm interested in the ones you mentioned Vin if that's a better way to go - will give you a call.
Now:
'84 GTV
'12 Nissan Navara D22

Then:
'83 Giulietta ('01-'06)

hammer

I have some of Vin's extensions behind the throttle bodies on the Giulietta if you ever want to take a look Damo.

DHDamo

Yep, sounds the goods Brent. Are you sprinting her at all this year? Otherwise I can take a stroll up the hill when you're free.
Now:
'84 GTV
'12 Nissan Navara D22

Then:
'83 Giulietta ('01-'06)

hammer

I'm going to do the next Morgan pk round and then the East Coast Challenge at Morgan Pk in the Sprint. I'll do the sprint round on July 19 and the following Italian Challenge round in Joolie. Working on the ALP Lord Mayoral campaign in Brisbane at the moment so driving 1000km/wk and lacking motivation when it comes to the weekends.

Cheers,

Brent

DHDamo

Brent, that sounds hectic. Will probs see you at the July 19 one.

Spoke to the old boy and what I've got is extensions that go between original mounts and carb. I understand this is the best option so I'm excited. They were fabricated by Randall Perkins in Syd in about '85 as far as we know. Cheers for all the input.
Now:
'84 GTV
'12 Nissan Navara D22

Then:
'83 Giulietta ('01-'06)

GT4

My car is a race car but I run the rubber mounts, (today replaced all 4 of them) with tube extensions between the rubber mounts and the 45 webbers. This optimises torque! one needs to look at the whole engine from intake to exhaust to get the best results.

jazig.k

Reviving an old thread because it asks some similar questions I have. In particular, what are the benifits of longer mounts?  Are they generally a good thing for lower torque? Or particularly require matching to cam, port exhaust setup?

Ignore  the vibration and acceleration of wear a little (which seems to be the be-all end-all of the threads I've read),I have a set of Jenvy ITB's, fuel injection conversion, to fit up and need new rubber mounts anyway. I have a few sets of "ok" used but now with ITB, I'm wondering if I just go solids. Long or short?

Directing this question to Vin might be a better option after I get the head off and see the valves and ports. Ex Race car, pace cams (10.5mm 320 by memory), 4-2-1 extractors, but no reliable info beyond that. It's probably not a clear cut answer without dyno comparisons and flow bench testing unless someone has been through it before.

vin sharp

I don't see a problem using the solid type mounts with EFI throttle bodies.
The reasons for not using solids with carbs is vibration of the needle & seat causing fuel level errors depending on the harshness
level at different rpms etc. & aerating of fuel in the carb bowl. Premature wear on the needle/seat tosses in another variable, so that cars that were once tuned & drove nicely deteriorate pretty quickly. Another issue is the 'O'-ring gaskets crush & leak air over time & need replacing often. Not a real issue on dedicated race cars perhaps. A LOT of people have retro-fitted Alfa rubber mounts after bad experience with the solid types, sometimes others seem to have no problem.
I can only assume the relatively tall, long stroke Alfa engine made in all aluminium amplifies issues, as other makes don't have such issues.
Having said that, over the years I have sold Alfa rubber mounts for use on other make engines because of similar carb problems.
& I still do 50mm long alloy spacers for use WITH the Alfa vibration & heat isolator rubber mounts.
Vin.