Old QLD Alfa Club member's engine - INFO REQUEST

Started by Muzzy, February 17, 2020, 09:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muzzy

Hi Guys,
If anyone in QLD, can help me with this one, I'd really appreciate it.
I've just purchased an 105 2000 engine from a bloke near Brisbane who was selling an engine on behalf of his deceased mate's wife.
The engine's in great knick and he's been a pleasure to deal with.
The engine arrived down to me in VIC packed with true love and care.
But before I strip the engine down, there's a couple of things that have really struck me.
For starters, the engine number starts with AR 00512, and Valeria @ Centro Documentazione Alfa Romeo has confirmed it is a genuine 2000 105 engine from either a GTV, Berlina or Spider. However, the cam cover clearly makes it look like an Alfetta engine? The script on both sides is not consistent with all the 105s I've owned.
That said, the engine block has the square with a diagonal line inside that indicates that it is from a 2L and it has the batwing sump.
Can you put an alfetta cylinder head on a 105 engine block?! Maybe that's what's going on here...
The bloke sent me an image of his mate in the car that this engine came from. Apparently it was his race engine.
Anyone recognise it?
Also, if you recognise the car, maybe you know something about the engine itself?
Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Muz

I've stuck a few shots here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jk60spd5d7ja3ix/AADyU6Z3_ClBadf8ephHcPEXa?dl=0

aggie57

More likely the cam cover was swapped.  Any cam cover from a 2-litre will fit, or a 1750 for that matter.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Muzzy

Yeah, that's what I was thinking... thanks. ;) But if the engine is from a race car that any of you guys up in QLD recognised, I was hoping you might also know what's going on under that cam cover? Have an image of the car its from... any thoughts? Apparently it was the bloke's race engine... so it make have some extra goodies to reveal once I open it up.