2.4 Engine issues

Started by t.faulks, February 19, 2020, 08:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

t.faulks

Hello Forum

A bit of a sombre topic for my long awaited first post on these forums.
After purchase of my 159 in 2018 it was diagnosed by Alfamen in brooklyn, vic to have a small leak in the headgasket. In june of last year after the issues had progressively increased i took the dip of doing it myself (having plenty of experience with Toyota engines). After completion i have had one thing break as i fix the last. But have been able to sort most issues thanks to resources found on this forum. However current issue is the car is not making any boost (well it makes 0.2 Bar).
The vehicle has had replaced:

• EGR Valve
  • MAP Sensor
  • Vacuum Pump
when driving today i had an error #P2002 come up though has not reappeared. Whilst testing again #P0238 had come up but again has failed to reappear. on a 3rd test drive for today not far from home while cornering i gained normal boost until traction control kicked in and it went back to only producing the 0.2 BAR

I am really confused but i'm hoping that someone on here might just be able to put 2 & 2 together and help please?

bazzbazz

P0238 error is normally - Turbocharger Boost Sensor Pressure Circuit

It could be the MAP is faulty (needs replacing not cleaning). Simple way to test is disconnect the MAP and see if if the same or similar error pops up.

It can also be caused by a split vacuum hose that operates the variable vanes of the Turbo, or any of the related vacuum hoses. The Boost Control Solenoid that controls the Turbo operation also fail occasionally.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

t.faulks

Hi BazzBazz.

I have changed hoses now and i have good power mid to high range but she still seems to be struggling creating boost down low.
At 2k she seems to take off but nothing before that

bazzbazz

My Psionic abilities can't do much more at this distance, and any other advice would be more of a stab in the dark than anything else.
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

bazzbazz

You could also be suffering from more than one issue, you could have an issue with the MAF.

Disconnect the MAF, take it for a drive and see if the bottom end power comes back. If it does simply replace MAF.
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

As the day goes

Baz, you ate a legend.  Wish I was living up there

bazzbazz

Not a legend, more like a calculated stab in the dark.

To quote -

"He's NOT the Messiah, he's just a very naughty boy!" 
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast