Wheel refurbishment or replacement

Started by Merv, February 16, 2020, 06:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merv

My car has its original wheel rims in steel. They are 14",  currently with 195's.  I am keen to go back to a narrower tyre and if possible keep these rims.  The edges of three of them have been scuffed a bit and a few small edge indentations after 52 years. I have local place that can refurbish them with sandblasting and fix up the edges with some heat and metal work. However, it seems that Alfa rims are un-numbered or stamped as original and I do wonder about the value of doing this. 

Are new steel rims still available? Most of the new rims seem to be alloy (probably a good thing) and most are in 15".
Thanks Merv
Cars:
Alfa Romeo Veloce 1750 1/1969
Porsche 911, 3.2 1988
Porsche 911 1968 (sold)
Porsche 356S 1962
Alfa GTV 1750 (sold)
Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 (sold)

bonno

Hi Merv
New steel wheels are available from O/S suppliers, (need to factor in freight costs). Here is a link to one.
https://ebspares.co.uk/part/K/EB2/wh003.cfm

rowan_bris

I haven't seen new steel wheels available, but I would just get yours restored or some other second hand ones done if yours end up not being good enough to get a good result.

Merv

Many thanks Bonno and Rowan.  The ones that are available are all alloy these days and no one seems to bother with the steelies. I also like the steel wheels as they alone allow me to keep the lovely original stainless steel hubcaps. I will see how they go with some work with heat and a suitably shaped anvil at the local repairer. If not then, the only viable option is the alloy 14 x 6 from Classic Alfa.
Thanks Merv
Cars:
Porsche 911, 3.2 1988
Porsche 911 1968 (sold)
Porsche 356S 1962
Alfa GTV 1750 (sold)

Merv

I have decided to stay with the existing rims and get the rough edges refurbished by Warner's Wheels here.  It seems they are original, based on their measurements and other indicators.  When I get the tyres off there should be a stamping date and hopefully the CMR manufacturer marking.

None of the available aftermarket rims are in 5.5" nor do they have provision for the stainless steel hubcaps that I like so much.
Thanks Merv
Cars:
Porsche 911, 3.2 1988
Porsche 911 1968 (sold)
Porsche 356S 1962
Alfa GTV 1750 (sold)

Merv

I am also looking for a decent set of Campanatura wheels 14 x 5.5 (38) if anyone has some.  I did find some from a seller in Melbourne but I was asked to buy them before seeing them!
Thanks Merv
Cars:
Porsche 911, 3.2 1988
Porsche 911 1968 (sold)
Porsche 356S 1962
Alfa GTV 1750 (sold)

ItalCarGuy

Quote from: Merv on February 26, 2020, 09:20:50 AM
I am also looking for a decent set of Campanatura wheels 14 x 5.5 (38) if anyone has some.  I did find some from a seller in Melbourne but I was asked to buy them before seeing them!

Hi Merv, campanatura pretty much means offset and is not the brand. Cromodora or Campagnolo maybe? Is it the 5 star ones you are after or the turbina ones?

Merv

Thanks Derek.  Point taken.  The ones I have seen in images are 38s (Campagnolo or Cromodora?) in the turbina style, which will, I believe, fit my 4 bolt (PCD 108) Alfa GTV 1750. Am I correct in this?
Thanks Merv
Cars:
Porsche 911, 3.2 1988
Porsche 911 1968 (sold)
Porsche 356S 1962
Alfa GTV 1750 (sold)

rowan_bris

Yes that's right.  Just beware that poorly cared for 50 year old wheels with high magnesium content have their problems.

Craig_m67

Rowan makes a good point
ClassicAlfa have new (repro?) versions of what you want (I think).
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Sportscar Nut

Merv, I am a tragic for original factory parts so would keep the original wheels but respect Rowan's comment.

I had my original CMR wheels stripped, re-rolled and painted and are as good as new. Alfa used at least three different wheel suppliers on 105's and funnily enough, the CMR spare wheels are 5 inch wide.

Merv

Good advice and thanks again. I must admit I also like original parts and have on many occasions spend hours refurbishing a part, when most people would just buy a repro.

What ever I do about wheels will involve correctly refurbishing and keeping the original rims. However, I do also like the Turbina look on these cars and would like a set of those to fit.  The repro ones on CA are the perfect size but unfortunately Out of Stock and according to Giles may never return.

https://classicalfa.com/wh042-campagnolo-millerighe-5-5-x-14-wheel/
Thanks Merv
Cars:
Porsche 911, 3.2 1988
Porsche 911 1968 (sold)
Porsche 356S 1962
Alfa GTV 1750 (sold)

Merv

Just an update on the original steel rims. They are off being cleaned up with a gentle medium ($20/wheel), then to get re-rolled and any dents and abrasions over the years repaired ($100/wheel) and I now have the correct paint to finish the job.   
Thanks Merv
Cars:
Porsche 911, 3.2 1988
Porsche 911 1968 (sold)
Porsche 356S 1962
Alfa GTV 1750 (sold)

GTV-074

Good work Merv...

What shade of silver did you settle on for the rims?

Rowan  is correct with his comments too. I have a set of original Cromodoras for my GTV. They
Have a high content of magnesium and are pretty light, but they have white powdery spots on the surface
Under the paint. The wheel place said some of the stuff back in the day wasn't as pure as it should
Have been and can have some impurities that years later manifests itself as blistering etc.

Only way to make them safe was to crack test them and check if they are structurally sound.

Dilemma, do that and then risk your car on 50 year old wheel that could still let go at any time, or just
Purchase a new repro set?

No brainer for me, got a new set. Not worth the risk, they make a nice display now for the man cave.

Cheers.
Speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?

Merv

I agree about the possible problems with old mag/alloy rims.  The CA repro ones look great and I will wait until they are available.  In the meantime I think I have good plan on the original steel rims.  Sliver Argent is generally agreed as being the closest to the original colour. It was also used on some older Fords as "Ford Wheel Silver" (but NLA).  Eastwood still have the "Silver Argent Rally Wheel Paint" which is durable and long lasting and will easily take any high wheel temps. Over the top of that I am not keen on the high gloss clear on wheels and prefer a semi-gloss which is again closer to original I am advised (Wurth have this "Lacquer Spray Special clear semi-gloss for under $18.00 a can).

Both are premium products with high quality paint nozzles on the cans to get a fine mist without spatter.
Thanks Merv
Cars:
Porsche 911, 3.2 1988
Porsche 911 1968 (sold)
Porsche 356S 1962
Alfa GTV 1750 (sold)