Wheel refurbishment or replacement

Started by Merv, February 16, 2020, 06:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig_m67

Quote from: bonno on March 26, 2021, 12:25:31 PM
As Paul indicated, VHT Ford Argent Silver SP188 is the correct period correct colour for your wheels. If your planning on refurbishing the wheels yourself and save heaps of cash, be mindful of the 3 step process required to achieve the desired result (removal of old paint & prime, base colour and clear coat).
https://www.vhtpaint.com/high-heat/vht-wheel-paint

Again, this is just BS

There is NO understanding or documentation of what the correct paint colour is for these wheels.
Lots of supposition over the last at least thirty years I've been involved as to what is the closest colour though

To say something is correct is simply erroneous (and fucking annoying)

Unless you have a source?
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

bonno

Hi Craig
Sorry to have offended, but my post is based on my research and is provided to other users for information to do as they wish. Correct me if I am wrong, but is it not the aim of this forum for spreading the knowledge (limited/extensive) in the maintenance of our beloved Alfas, bearing in mind the SUBJECT wheels.

Craig_m67

Quote from: bonno on March 26, 2021, 02:53:04 PM
Hi Craig
Sorry to have offended, but my post is based on my research and is provided to other users for information to do as they wish. Correct me if I am wrong, but is it not the aim of this forum for spreading the knowledge (limited/extensive) in the maintenance of our beloved Alfas, bearing in mind the SUBJECT wheels.

Nice passive aggressive strawman.

You are not "correct"

There is no research that identifies either of these paints (Wurth, BMW Polaris silver, etc.) as being the "correct" paint colour for Alfa's many suppliers of steel wheels.

Your research, unless you are able to point to some AR doco, is based on 30years of supposition and eyeballing by the community in the many forums.  It's value amounts to no more than anything said here.  It is not a fact, it is not correct, is an opinion - my point

I would deduct concourse points if somebody tried to tell me their wheel paint shade, application and process was OEM correct - it's just a (superior) nonsense.

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

GTV-074

Geezuz Craig, take a chill pill ....  you wouldn't happen to be a lawyer by trade?

You are correct no one knows the correct shade/colour/mix/pigment whatever of the steel wheel finish. As we know multiple suppliers etc.  i mean the spare original on my
74' GTV wasn't even that same silver as the other 4 wheels, it was a matt, lighter grey finish. This was the way it was supplied.

I guess the point of this was that the "Argent" Silver/grey is close to and or a decent substitute for whatever was on the wheels when fitted by Alfa.

It's a free country (i think it still is!) so people can put whatever colour they want on their wheels at the end of the day.

Cheers,

Paul.
Speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?

marcphil2

Quotehttps://www.alfabb.com/threads/duetto-rim-color.2666/#post-8694392

This link might be of interest to those wishing to recreate the original grey wheel colour
Original Owner
2000 Spider Veloce
HTB 904
Farina Blue