Rust Panels

Started by Alfa1750gtv1, October 28, 2021, 05:06:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alfa1750gtv1

Hi All,

I'm restoring a 1750 coupe and as with all the ones left out there I'm going to need some rust panels.

I'm just wondering what everyone's experience buying rust panels from Classic Alfa or Alfaholics were like. My main concern is paying a few grand for the panels (I need both rear 1/4's and a bit more besides) then the tax man slapping some stupid duty on them when I get them here and ending up paying another grand or so. I know under 1000 dollars you just pay GST but what about after?

Really, I just want to hear who has done it and what the import duties were so I can be prepared for that cost.  I would also take any advice on other sources for the panels but if they're overseas the same question applies regarding import fees.

Cheers, Clarkey

LukeC

I have said before to people complaining about having to pay duties for parts for their classic cars: "First world problem... my heart bleeds!". Somebody has to pay for the roads you are going to drive on and the hospital you may end up in if you have an accident.

Seriously though: I buy over $20,000 of parts for clients cars every year from Classic Alfa alone (slightly cheaper that Alfaholics, better website and nicer to deal with). While I do my best for the client and keep the purchase lots around the $1000 threshold to avoid duty, sometimes you just have to bite it and cough up duties. Last year I did for a purchase of repair panels for my own car.... No avoiding it!

Without looking up my records, I think it is 20% plus a brokers fee.
Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

Alfa1750gtv1

I'm aware of the facts of life being death and taxes, however that one risks getting off topic and discussing the insanely flawed state of our Australian taxation system and I feel like that's never a good time for anyone.

Thankyou for the information though, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I'm not quite as first world as I would like to be so I'm having to save and do work as I can afford it. That's easier to do when I know how much I have to save and how much overtime I will have to work to afford my passion.

I'm assuming the brokers fee is reasonably minimal? A dollar value would be awesome if you can assuming its not percentage based.

SimonR

I purchased a very large volume of parts from the UK way back in 2002/03 for my Spider which was being restored by Rankins in Bayswater at the time. I think its was from EB Spares, and I specifically asked them to ensure the tax invoice showed that the "parts were to be installed on a 1973 Alfa Spider" as it would reduce one of the Australian Taxes at the time. 
At either Customs or the Cargo company at Tullamarine or Airport West I had to pay from memory 3% duty, plus GST on the full purchase price including the Transport cost, plus some admin fees, I then had to also locate a Broker and pay another Broker fee which was about $90 fixed price or so back then before I could actually pickup up the pallet of stuff. The Customs guy advised me to use a broker as the paperwork was a nuisance and he confirmed that the invoice showing fitted to a 1973 car, plus the Rego papers I brought confirming the age of the actual car would save some money (may be different now).
It ended up costing so much more than I expected (just the the total restoration did) but you need to get used to this whenever restoring a car I guess.
At least now the exchange rate is sooo muuuch better than I paid which was only 34 pence to the dollar or so so you are paying less than I did so that will save you doing some overtime!
1973 Alfa Spider - Red
1984 GTV 2.0 - White