75 Rusty Bulkhead metal gauge thickness

Started by Hudders, February 13, 2020, 11:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hudders

Hi all, as I've seen that this is a known problem I've had a look at mine and by god its bad, however I'm not too fazed after seeing how others tackle the job, I will have to cut the scuttle to gain access and the dash will come out as well.
I'm trying to get organized in advance of the surgery and so it would be very helpful to know what gauge steel is needed for the bulkhead, I will also need to make that shield that goes over the hole, I guess that can be a thinner gauge?

Here is some terrible pictures.
Alfa 75 3.0 V6 (1988)

MD

Hudders,

I once imported a 75 from the UK under assurances that it was corrosion free. Haha, what a joke. It was so rusted in the same area, I elected to salvage all the parts and scrap the body shell. Not good news for you but what is good news is that your example is not as bad. I have some suggestions by way of photo illustrations that may be of some help. The problem is created by blocked drainage that accumulates debris. Breakdown of the debris is accompanied by a formation of acid. Obviously the presence of acid in such an area is going to create corrosion.

So a note of warning to all 75 owners. Keep the drain free flowing and be sure to apply an abundance of a corrosion inhibitor such as Tectyl 506 or equivalent to prevent rust taking hold.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Hudders

Thanks MD, although my bulkhead is way more rusty than those pictures. That's not the chassis you scrapped is it, looks way better than mine.
Alfa 75 3.0 V6 (1988)

MD

No, it is not the scrapped chassis. This one is track bound as soon as it gets legs. The other one by now is 750kg of Chinese roofing nails available at Bunnings.

This is what is behind the support panel. I cannot see how you can properly repair it unless there is some cutting and metal replacement going to happen. All depends how good a panel beater you are...   :)
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Hudders

Alfa 75 3.0 V6 (1988)