V6 inner Drive shafts - HELP!

Started by Colin Byrne, April 11, 2020, 11:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin Byrne

Hi guys, so I've got a bit of a drive shaft dilemma with fitting the v6 to the stratos and I need some help . I've got three inner drive shafts ( from left to right)
   1. This one came with the  12v that we got with the car, however it dosn't have the correct spline for the 5 speed box that was on the engine, so I've got no idea what it's from
   2. This one is off the 3L 24v that is now in the car, however this engine had an auto on it, so once again incorrect spline for the manual 6 speed now in the car.
   3. This one came with the 6 speed box, so finally has the correct spline for the Diff, but the shaft is to long for the bearing housing
So my question is, is there an available drive shaft for this combination? I don't want to change the bearing housing as its also the engine mount, and don't particularly what to fabricate a new one! I could machine up a bearing housing extension piece if I have to but just getting the correct shaft would be a much better option
Thanks
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

105gta

Hi Colin a couple of points to note and check. I believe that the autos and manual gearbox have slightly different differential centre points. So 1st is check that the eng mount/bearing support is aligned with the gearbox output, I believe that mount is diff for auto or manual. . I'd  also check thE length from hub to inner flange on both sides as a difference could cause rear end torque steer that'd be Really fun to diagnose! Ideally you'd want both outer shafts to be the same length. So that could dictate the shaft Length to use. 
Back to the mount. The later v6 6sp cars don't have a mount in that position only the bearing support combined with filter housing and oil thermostat. So finding an actual eng mount with bearing support to suit 6sp may be difficult. Although I have heard of people fitting 6spds to earlier cars. But not familiar with which parts they used but i think they are mostly 916 cars without the eng mount.
If you like I can give you a call and go through a few things/possible options that may work.
Ben
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce (WIP)
1985 GTV6 (WIP)