AR 159 - Diesel 2.4 - Cam out of timing - all 20 rockers broken

Started by Marc000000, January 24, 2020, 10:41:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc000000

Hi,
I have a Alfa Romeo 159 2.4L diesel (2007) which I bought recently. I drove it 100km and it sounded fine.
I haven't been able to start it since. I brought it to the local European mechanic to have it looked at. The diagnostic showed a P0340 error.
Anyway, he took the cam head off, and found that all 20 rockers are broken. Obviously, there is a major issue with the timing.
The question I have is this:
The two shafts in the cam head look normal (undamaged), There are two threaded holes on each side of the cam head which is used to lock the position of the shafts. When one is lined up (screw driver falls into groove), the one on the other side is not lining up with the hole. Possible 1/8 rotation out. Are they supposed to both line up at the same time? If so, how would they have become "out" of sync? The gears look fine so that is not the reason. Can the gear wheel of one be loosened to adjust and line them up?
I do not know the history of the Alfa. Is it possible that the difference between the two shaft rotations has been done on purpose for Dragging/ Honing purposes?
Also, would anyone know where I can purchase the rollers? I have found an English site which sells them for about $20 each.
I would appreciate any feedback on this matter.
Regards,
Marc

bazzbazz

Quote from: Marc000000 on January 24, 2020, 10:41:33 AM
The two shafts in the cam head look normal (undamaged), There are two threaded holes on each side of the cam head which is used to lock the position of the shafts. When one is lined up (screw driver falls into groove), the one on the other side is not lining up with the hole. Possible 1/8 rotation out. Are they supposed to both line up at the same time?

Yes, they are supposed to line up, there are special screw locks that go into the threaded holes, locking both shafts into position at the same time.

Quote from: Marc000000 on January 24, 2020, 10:41:33 AM
If so, how would they have become "out" of sync? The gears look fine so that is not the reason. Can the gear wheel of one be loosened to adjust and line them up?

Yes, the gear wheel bolts are loosened so that both locks engage at same time into the camshafts, then they are torqued up.

No idea how they came undone. The usual cause of the damage you are describing is caused by the cam belt breaking, or at least skipping a few teeth.

The worst part is that the rockers have small needle bearings in them and when they break the needle rollers go everywhere and you have to recover ALL of them. Quite often the tiny rollers get into the sump as well.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Marc000000

Hi BazzBazz,
Thank you for your feedback.
The gear wheel bolts are pretty dam tight. I tried loosening both of them without success. Have to think of a way to get them loose. Do you know anyone around the Sunshine Coast area that can get them loose?
There are no teeth missing on the gears and there is very little movement in them, so its a mystery why they don't line up.
Regards,
Marc