Alfetta Sedan How to Remove Instrument Cluster - Speedo Not Working

Started by RLeT, January 02, 2020, 01:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RLeT

Hello Alfisti,
Basic question: How do you remove the instrument cluster to get to the back of the speedo?
My speedo stopped working recently in my 1977 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan.  It looks secure in the gearbox, so I want to look behind the speedo.  My Haines Manual suggests undoing the screws, but I think that only removes the frame around the gauge, and the glass.  A You Tube search shows putting 2 feeler gauges underneath the bottom of the gauge in 2 locations, to compress some clips, and then pushing the cluster down to clear two lugs at the top.  I tried this, but couldn't feel anything when I inserted the feeler gauges, so I wondered if I was on the right track.  I had not taken out the steering column cowling yet, not sure if that made any difference.  Mr You Tube suggested I needed to do that first.

I wanted to be more confident before I applied any force anywhere.  Anyone got any advice?

Thanks in Advance - Greatly Appreciated.

Richard.
Richard.

bonno

Hi Richard
If it is the same cluster as the one shown in the 2 x photos, my guess it is a matter of lifting up the 2 lugs shown on the bottom of cluster and lift out. 
https://www.alfabb.com/threads/77-alfetta-sedan-instrument-cluster.138996/#lg=thread-138996&slide=0

RLeT

It looks similar, but has Blue Veglia Borletti gauges, and km/h.  I'll post some photos.

To ask a super dumb question: Do you slide something in to lift up the two lugs, or just try to lift the cluster?

Thanks heaps for the tip.

Richard.
Richard.

bonno

Try using a small flat bladed screwdriver or knife and gently lift together to partly withdraw cluster, then disconnect electrical connector and unscrew tacho and speedo cables to remove. 

RLeT

Thanks Bono.  I wasn't pushing the lower clips at the correct angle, so it was jamming.  I now have the cluster pulled back, and everything disconnected - bar 1 connection to the speedo.  It's a small cable with a really small side screw retaining it (in a copper or brass end).  I need to compress a photo before I can attach.

This screw is really hard to get out.  I even bought magnifying specs so I can see it, and I need a precision screwgy to get it undone, but I'm struggling to get it undone.  Is there any trick to it.  It's tight to get at with hands behind the cluster, but I need it undone to remove the cluster fully.  Is there any trick to reattaching it afterwards?

I tried turning the speedo cable, and it turned.  I've read that this means that, either the cable has come out of the gearbox end, or it's broken.  suggesting I probably need a new one.  Do you have any comments?

Thanks again.

Cheers, Richard.
Richard.

bonno

Hi Richard
I would imagine that by unscrewing the aluminium ring nut, then sliding the cable back to expose the cable should be sufficient. I am not sure of what the small screw you are referring to is holding it back from removing the cluster. Maybe a photo of the suspect screw and surrounding area might throw some light on the problem.

RLeT

Hi Bonno and thanks for sticking with me on this!

Picture attached.  Not sure what orientation it will reflect when posted.  The speedo cable is seen disconnected.  The brass/copper thing is plugged into the speedo.  There's a small screw across that (you can just make out the tip of the screw close to the white coloured back of the dash).  I think that screw would need removal to remove the connection and therefore the instrument cluster.

I might be able to do what I need with everything in its current place, but it is fiddly.  It would be easier to remove the cluster if that doesn't cause other problems.

Do you know what this connection is?  Please let me know if you need a wider view for context.

Thanks in advance!
Richard.
Richard.

bonno

Does your tacho on your instrument cluster incorporate oil pressure gauge? If so, then it could be the electrical connector for the oil pressure gauge!!!.   

RLeT

I left that connection as is, and changed the cable.  Speedo seems to work fine, so all good.

Thanks so much for the advice and help.

Richard.
Richard.