147 Gta rally car

Started by Cowie, December 25, 2019, 05:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cowie

Some of you may remember way back when I claimed I intended to build a 147 Gta rally car,  well it's all but done. I tried to attach a video on the dyno, but apparently it's too large. I'll try some pics instead.
I have learnt a lot about these cars in the process, more than I ever wanted to   :D
Nope all my pics are too large to attach, open to suggestions 

bonno

Hi Cowie
Try uploading video on Youtube or your Facebook page, then provide a link to it. For photos you need to reduce the size of file, then you can attach a maximum of 4 photos per post, refer to the following link on this forum  "How To Sticky"
http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=55.0

Cowie

Thanks bonno. The pics are on a Samsung phone which only seems to take pics that exceed 3mb, and it won't let me resize them, but I'll keep playing with it.

I am not on facebook, but a couple of mates and I have a page for our rallying shenanigans called Inverted Motorsport. The dyno vid is on there now.

It made 248 hp at the wheels at 7300 on a bone stock engine, just throttle bodies bolted to it. I will only rev it to 7 due to the hydraulic lifters, and the injectors peaked at 98% duty cycle, so I will go with bigger ones for a bit of a safety margin.

I was never chasing more grunt. I concentrated on all the other bits that actually make rally cars fast  ;)

Cowie

Turns out I just mms pics to myself and then they are resized

bonno

Hi Cowie
Just viewed the Facebook video and engine sounds impressive, this combined with a Q2 differential should make for a fun Rally car.
Facebook link
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=475070900073601&external_log_id=172025366d1532bf7e6b07a12775b7c1&q=inverted%20motorsport   

Cowie

Cheers bonno. But not a Q2 diff which is a torsen, and hence doesn't actually work, it's a plate type diff, 140nm preload and 30 / 60 degree ramp angles

Cowie

Here's some more. That bonnet weighs 1.8 kg. I went with 4 bonnet pins because the standard hinges also weigh 1.8 kg, and we couldn't have that !!

Cowie

And thanks for putting up the facebook link Bonno, I didn't know how to do that

Paul Byrne

G'day Cowie,
The 147 looks good and competitive. Not sure if you are going to compete on tarmac or dirt, but thought it might be worth mentioning that any event above club level needs a registered cage. Maybe yours is already registered? If not and it will be, there are a couple of issues from the photos that you might want to have a look at. Appendix J of the CAMS (Motorsport Australia) regs   has the details, but the current cage appears not yet to have gusseting on all crossing members, such as the X in the main hoop and in the roof cross. Also the regs require the door bar/s to be gusseted where they intersect the windscreen pillar reinforcement bar. At state comp level and above two door bars each side are required.
You may well have this stuff covered! Just thought it worth mentioning as we have just been through the process during the rebuild of the 105 GTV tarmac rally car.
Cheers
74 GTV 2000 tarmac rally
75 Spider
EX 51 Jowett Jupiter

Cowie

Thanks Paul, yes you're dead right, it's a mine field. But the car is already logbooked so no issues there. I would have been competing this year if not for some niggling electrical issues, hence the delay of getting it on the dyno.
It is built for gravel, the underbody protection and sump guard are not on for the pics. But it will be a bit of a weapon on tarmac too, no doubt I will give a tarmac rally a go at some stage

Paul Byrne

Targa Great Barrier Reef, September 2020!!
74 GTV 2000 tarmac rally
75 Spider
EX 51 Jowett Jupiter

warsch

What brand are the shocks? And what are the spring rates

Cowie

They are MCA.
140 lb rears and 300 lb fronts, due to the 0.75 motion ratio in the front end

Cowie

Remote reservoir fronts, didn't feel it was necessary in the rear, not much weight at all back there.

bazzbazz

FINALLY!

Someone who knows the correct place for the Fire Extinguisher.   8)
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au