1985 GTV6 Correct Steering Wheel and Radio

Started by MickyV, December 08, 2019, 08:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MickyV

Hi All,

I'm looking to get a 1985 GTV6 back to as original condition as possible and would appreciate some advice and guidance on the following questions:

1. Did the 1985 GTV6 come standard with the wood or leather steering wheel;
2. Which is the correct Radio for the car ;
3. Did the 1985 models ever come with colour coded bumpers from factory;
4. Some cars have the two tone paint work (grey / charcoal at bottom side). Was this an option at the time ?

Thanks
Michael

aggie57

Hi Michael

As I understand it as far as the Australian market is concerned:

1. Very early cars had wood, the rest had leather.  By 1985 leather.
2. The factory shipped them without radios.  Alfa Australia fitted Eurovox units before delivery.  The ones in GTV6's had a joystick control for fade/balance.
3. No.  The late series Grand Prix model cars did, but it was a different style bumper.
4. Not an option, it varied depending on the build date.  Early cars didn't have it and also didn't have the side rubbing strip, cars from late 83 through to 85 had the strip and the charcoal colour, the last cars (from late 85 build) had the rubbing strip but body colour below it. Exact dates for these changes have been documented differently in different places. 

Hope this helps.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

MickyV

Dear Alister,

Thank you for your help so far. The Radio appears to be the same one as in my 1984 Alfetta GCL. Someone once told me these were the same as the Radio in the GTV's.

The car is built June 1985. How do I know if it was born with the charcoal two tone colour ? Also was the charcoal below the rubber strip just painted on or is it actually a mould. My alfetta has plastic moulds that run down the side. 

aggie57

Quote from: MickyV on December 09, 2019, 09:46:49 PM
Dear Alister,

Thank you for your help so far. The Radio appears to be the same one as in my 1984 Alfetta GCL. Someone once told me these were the same as the Radio in the GTV's.

The car is built June 1985. How do I know if it was born with the charcoal two tone colour ? Also was the charcoal below the rubber strip just painted on or is it actually a mould. My alfetta has plastic moulds that run down the side.

It's likely the radio is the same as your GCL, I'm no expert on those cars but Alfa used Eurovox radios for quite a while.  The GTV's used a similar radio but without the joystick.  Perhaps they only had the two speakers as standard while GTV6's had 4. 

The charcoal colour was paint.  If your car was built June 85 then it's probably that way from new.  Only the very late cars had the body colour below the strip.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list