159 old key replacement

Started by Alfa-mad, April 28, 2020, 01:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alfa-mad

Hi guys, one of the keys was looking like it had a hard life so time came to replace it. I didn't get a completely brand new reprogrammed key etc. I just bought a replacement shell and moved over the internals. The only thing I have to do is get the key tang cut but looking around at older posts shows that it isn't a big deal.

The shell doesn't come with the electronic internals obviously but what it did have was a battery and 3 tactile switches that you can solder onto your board if need be, a bit weird though. If my circuit board was that old and the switches were that worn, I wouldn't bother as its more hassle than its worth trying to solder those tiny things on. In that instance I would just bite the bullet and buy a freshly programmed key.

It also didn't come with the small logo but I got a pack of two off Ebay for $5, easy as. I did find that they weren't exactly the right diameter but for the price, I used it anyway and it looks good enough to me, see pics.

If you're interested in buying these items, I got them from the following seller stores on Ebay: yfautoaus for the little logo's and go2sports for the key shell

As the day goes

Yep got my tang cut at the place next to Max Kirwan Mazda for one new FOB ike yours.

Alfa-mad

Thanks for the info, did you need to provide some kind of code from the key barrel etc?

bazzbazz

Quote from: Alfa-mad on April 28, 2020, 01:04:02 PM
The shell doesn't come with the electronic internals obviously but what it did have was a battery and 3 tactile switches that you can solder onto your board if need be, a bit weird though. If my circuit board was that old and the switches were that worn, I wouldn't bother as its more hassle than its worth trying to solder those tiny things on. In that instance I would just bite the bullet and buy a freshly programmed key.

You've never checked the price for a "freshly programmed key", have you.  ;)
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au