159 ti 2.2 timing chain replacement

Started by damian85, December 10, 2019, 09:46:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

damian85

Hey guys new to the 159 world and just purchased a Ti with the 2.2 in it.

Did a scan and the fault code of P0016 is coming up which has led me to believe the timing chain is stretched.

Whats everyone paying for this to get replaced?

Also have a noise leak from the intake valve. Unsure if it's normal but sounds like a vacuum leak. Is this also a common issue?

:o

bazzbazz

Quote from: damian85 on December 10, 2019, 09:46:12 PM
Hey guys new to the 159 world and just purchased a Ti with the 2.2 in it.

Did a scan and the fault code of P0016 is coming up which has led me to believe the timing chain is stretched.

Did an engine management light come up or did you just do a scan and found it stored in the ECU?

Quote from: damian85 on December 10, 2019, 09:46:12 PM
Also have a noise leak from the intake valve. Unsure if it's normal but sounds like a vacuum leak. Is this also a common issue?

Noise leak from intake valve sounding like a vacuum leak?  ???
Not quite sure what you mean by this?
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Mick A

I know what he means, he's talking about the PCV I think? Yes very common problem on that engine and an easy fix.
It's mounted on the intake plenum so I see how it could be confused as an 'intake valve'.

bazzbazz

On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

damian85

Sorry wrong terminology! Looking again it would be the PCV. Is it a replacement one that I look at or take off,clean adjust and out back on?

And fault light was on the dashboard which came up as P0016 so when I've looked into it more the chain issues have started to come up as a common thing with that code. I've cleared it but guessing it will come back. Any idea on costing for this one?

Pseudonym

Every place will be different, Perth are a bit over $2k, but there's a handful of places, east coast will undoubtedly be cheaper but make sure they do the balance chain parts as well, the stretch has been blamed on poor lubrication in the timing case on these blocks so everything wears just some faster than others. As will undoubtedly be mentioned also see if you can change out the sensors up top to rule them out.