147 Door Card ‘Orange Rot’

Started by Cam D, November 22, 2019, 10:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cam D

Hi everyone.

After having to replace a window regulator I thought it may be time to address the 'orange rot' going on in my door cards while I had it off.

The front doors are just starting to give way. The back well established. See photos. It's a shame because the lovely 147ti interior is in otherwise great condition.

I went to one auto trimmers who seemed to think they would not be able to mould the new leather (?) into the groves and I would lose the lines. Which is a shame. Has anyone had it successfully done?

While I'm at it... looks like someone's been in the door before and butchered the foam. Any suggestions on best way to fix it up. I was thinking of completely removing it from the door, taping it then re- glueing it to the the door

Many thanks, cam
Current Alfa's:
1975 Alfetta GT
1979 Alfetta GTV
1983 Alfetta GTV
2007 147 ti

Past Alfa's:
1969 1750 GTV
1982 Alfetta GTV
1985 33 ti
1988 75 (3.0)

bonno

Agree , I would attempt to repair it by using quality contact adhesive made for the job. From the photos it appears the leather/vinyl material has lifted off the foam and has not been damaged. If there areas were the foam has deteriorated badly, I would fill and shape to match surrounding area so it is not noticeable when re-glued in position.

bonno

Further to my previous post I have attached a link for suitable products used for the contact adhesive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_MJI7TF4h4

Cam D

Thanks again bonno

This may be a little outside my skill set. Will continue to try find a trimmers over here in WA willing to tackle the job before embarking on it myself
Current Alfa's:
1975 Alfetta GT
1979 Alfetta GTV
1983 Alfetta GTV
2007 147 ti

Past Alfa's:
1969 1750 GTV
1982 Alfetta GTV
1985 33 ti
1988 75 (3.0)