Alfetta GTV grilles - what type of plastic?

Started by Alfetta77, October 20, 2019, 08:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alfetta77

Hi everyone, I'd like to use a rust converter (Ranex rustbuster - https://www.bondall.com/ranex-rustbuster/) on the jack nuts on my grilles, which have corroded. The thing is, I don't want to damage the plastic, which means I need to know what type of plastic it is - grateful for any assistance from someone in the know. Thanks, Mark
Current:  Alfetta GTV 1977 Silver
Previous: Alfetta GTV 1980 Red

bonno

High probability it’s polypropylene. Just to be sure on suitability, carry out a test by smearing the product on a small section of plastic and see whether no damage occurs after 24 hours.

Alfetta77

john m

Ranex Rustbuster is a must have addition any pre 1990 model Alfa owner. I agree with bonno to test a small amount on the back of the grill.
Cheers
John
Now
84: GTV6 White-stock
84: Giulietta Red-club sprints
69: GTV1750 Red-on blocks
Then
71: Berlina 2000 man.-UK import

17fitty

Not poly prop but ABS(Acrlonitrile butadiene styrene) and has a very low chemical resistance-as in thinners will melt it slowly as will lots of other solvents.Mainly found in injection moulded vehicle parts ie grilles/centre consoles/some road bike fairings and can be painted easily-hope this helps

bazzbazz

17fitty is correct. You recognize ABS by is rigidity and brittleness. 

Polypropylene is much more flexible and durable.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Alfetta77

Thanks everyone. Tried a small amount of Ranex for a few minutes - no effect. Tried again for a couple of hours - no effect whatsoever. Looking good to treat the jack nuts - will post some before and after photos.

poohbah

Sorry to hijack the thread, but is ABS the same stuff that the triangular vent covers are made of on the rear quarter panel?

Any idea of the best primer and paints to use for refurbing them?
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

bonno

Hi Poohbah I have sent you a PM on the refurb method you are after. If you think it is necessary, it is best to create new post so as not to confuse the subject post.