156 2005 2.0l JTS engine rattle

Started by DeathWarmedUp, October 23, 2019, 08:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeathWarmedUp

Hi All,

My son wanted an Alfa and had an inheritance so we found a 156 from a Dealer in QLD.  Its in great condition externally/internally and ran great with only 118k on the clock.  We had it for one day and had the "Motor Control System Failure" on the first morning so the dealer pickup the car and had Mech fix it - O2 Sensor failure which was checked and then replaced.  Took a few weeks to get the car back due to timing issues between us and them...

Got the car back this Sunday the 20th Oct and drove it back 60km on highway and it ran great.  My Son is on Learners so we started driving 1 odd hour in the mornings for the last few days and then I drove it 5km to my work (country town so not far).  Yesterday, I do remember hearing a bit of a different sound in hindsight. 

This morning, when he started it (I'm in passenger seat), it was much louder I thought.  We did a 20min drive and then dropped him at school and with window down and Rev'ing to 1500rpm, I thought thats not right.  Its a rattling sound from the top end.  I checked the oil and it was at minimum so bought some Castrol Edge 10w60.

I took it to my old general mechanic (John) who's fantastic (takes care of our other son's BA Ford and our Mazdas) but doesn't do European cars.  Him and his head mechanic looked over her and we topped up the oil.  This made it a bit better but they thought various things but came to the conclusion its "Piston Slap" they believe which they have seen over the years usually caused by the engine overheating and the bore deforming just a bit.  They hope they are not right and said they are NOT Alfa guys and possibly its some Alfa specific issue that is not that expensive.  They noted that the coolant tank is new and other parts ie thermostat and some hoses are new.  They think its overheated probably due to tank rupture but just guessing.

So, we videoed it with John doing the throttle and here it is.  I am hoping you guys can give us a hand with this.  My Mech is saying potential engine rebuild at some point (tomorrow or a few years if we just baby her around).

The car is under the 1 month warranty so I have contacted the Dealer but I am looking for feedback from everyone to help with the "discussions".. Dealer has been great BTW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB0mTqRA6cw

PS hoping for BazzBazz to comment - forgot to say, I have a mate Greg who has two 156's - 1 x 2.0l and the other a V6 and he heard it and said not good - get onto BazzBazz .

Mick A

Hello, not sure of your name.

It's quite common for JTS engines to wear out the camshafts, I suggest have your mechanic carefully remove the cam cover and visually inspect the lobes on the camshafts.

Also, the cam covers on these engines are very fragile, be sure they tighten all the bolts in sequence and evenly, or it will crack.

Cheers.

Mick.

DeathWarmedUp

Hi Mick

Sorry, my names Wayne. Thanks for the reply. Car is now back with the dealers mechanic.

Wayne

bazzbazz

Everything Mick said is correct, so start at the camshafts, easy to check.

I personally have never seen a 156 suffering from "Piston Slap", nor heard of it happening unless something tragic has happened to the engine.

As you have commented about low oil level, and after listening to the video, I suspect that the engine has run low on oil and has damaged the con-rod big end bearings. This is VERY common on JTS & Twinspark engines that have been run low on oil.

That's as far as my Psyonic abilities stretch from this distance.

By the way, is the Hobbyking B17 still airworthy, or gone down in flames?
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

DeathWarmedUp

Thanks for the reply. I have been lurking the forum and saw the bearing posts. Seems to vary a bit on cost. Be interesting to hear what the Dealers mech comes back with.

Oh and that B17 is still flying fine with one of my mates. It was a bit big to get in my car and he had a bit smaller so we swapped for a change. Both going well 😁 so far.

DeathWarmedUp

Just an update.  Spoke to the dealer and the Mechanic found a nicked big end bearing so they are replacing all of them.  Waiting on the parts to arrive.  Top end/cam is fine the Mechanic said.

bazzbazz

Ahhh, more than just a nick I would say . . . . . .  ::)
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au