Back In The Saddle!

Started by Beatle, September 16, 2019, 06:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bazzbazz

NOT INNOX !

It is a lubricant like WD40 and contains an oil lubricant. You want electrical cleaner or Isopropyl Alcohol spray (Jaycar) which is completely volatile to use to clean electrical plugs and contacts.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Beatle

Don't panic Barry...    I've never had an issue using Inox, in the right place, and often after I've used a contact cleaner.  I always wipe/blow off the excess, but the intent in this case is to leave a protective film against corrosion and lube the plug seals (I refer the reader to my previous post where I pressure washed the engine.....).   These cars are getting old and I'd rather a light corrosion-protective coating than a nice dry corroded connection.

Of course, I'm not using it on anything sensitive (MAF, electronics) but for electrical connectors I've always found it works great. 

I'm not afraid to use it on fuse box contacts, or on old copper-track/soldered circuits like the back of Alfetta instrument boards.   It doesn't dry out like WD-40 and doesn't have the solvents of other WDs which tend to eat protective coatings and rubber.
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

Beatle

First oil change completed.  On this car the filter is significantly easier to access than it was on my GT and there is no undertray to remove.  http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=14259.msg84338#msg84338

Still needed my SCA filter pliers to loosen it but I didn't need to move any hardware to get access or to extricate the filter from it's hidey-hole.   Barely spilled a drop of oil.  :D

As I don't know prior history, I rolled the dice and ran Nulon Oil Flush through it, and left it drain fully overnight.

Refilled with Penrite Premium 10W-60.  A tad expensive for a daily driver and one 5L bottle isn't enough.  It's also harder to source than Castrol Edge Supercar 10W-60 (similar price), but I have a 'thing' about Castrol oils (completely baseless......)

I'll be leaving it in there for 10,000kms (the 'book' interval is 20,000km with 10W-40  :o)  On the GT I ran a 5k interval.

I still reckon Penrite HPR 10W-50 would be a more than suitable alternative for this car, and 5 years ago it was the Penrite recommendation for the GT, but I see Penrite now only have the 10W-60 listed for all 2000's Alfas with no alternates offered.  I'd guess the marketing guys have decided that Alfa owners are all cashed up... 

Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd

bazzbazz

On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Craig_m67

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Beatle

Are the front head restraints adjustable in a 2002/3 156?  Mine don't seem to move. 
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd

Craig_m67

They were in mine (up and down).
There is a button that you press on one of the headrest legs(?) to allow it to move.
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Beatle

Damned if I can find a button on mine.  But the construction looks like they should be adjustable.  e.g. the legs have loads of clearance where they enter the headrest which looks like they should adjust fore-aft.  But I can't work out how to even adjust them vertically  :o

I can't imagine a vehicle offering safety items such as ABS, EBD, and VDC doesn't have ABH (adjustable bloody headrests)
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd

bazzbazz

This is what the headrest mount should look like, you press the tab on the side to release the headrest so you can move it up and down -

On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

bonno

Hi Beatle
My 156 JTS has no release pins as shown in BazzBazz photo, but are adjustable by pushing up or down see photos attached in the lowered position and raised position.

Beatle

Yeah,  mine are like yours Bonno, and look to currently be in the full down position.  The plastic legs are smooth with no buttons.  I also tried rotating the legs, unsuccessfully, to see if that's how they locked.

I'll have to try using a bit more brute force.  They may not have been moved in 15 years so need a little coaxing. ;)
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd

bonno

Suggest a little gentle persuasion via placing 2 x timber pieces between the 2 vertical rods/slides and a timber wedge in between so as not to damage seat or tear the leather.

bazzbazz

Quote from: Beatle on January 17, 2020, 02:21:36 PM
I'll have to try using a bit more brute force.

"Use a bigger hammer"

"If it won't fit, FORCE IT! If it break, eh, it needed replacing anyway"

Two very popular dictum employed by Air Force maintenance personnel on a daily basis.  ;)
(Especially "Sumpy's")*

* Sumpy - Military slang for a Engine Fitter
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

bonno

Maybe for Military vehicles, but definitely NOT the case, if they were working on fixed or rotary wing aircraft.

bazzbazz

Quote from: bonno on January 17, 2020, 04:34:39 PM
Maybe for Military vehicles, but definitely NOT the case, if they were working on fixed or rotary wing aircraft.

I was being facetious.   ::)

;D ;D ;D
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast