Back In The Saddle!

Started by Beatle, September 16, 2019, 06:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beatle

So I picked up a cheap 156 V6 Auto on the weekend.

Needed something more economical than the petrol Landcruiser to drive to work now that my daughter inherited the Kia with her P-plates.
At least that's how I convinced myself...

<140,000kms. Belts done 2 years ago and interior is in exceptional condition. Paint not so good, and a few dings & scrapes on the bodywork that I may be able to live with.....
Needs at least CV boots for rego, but has a slight clunk on the RH front so likely up for new suspension arms.

Doesn't have the mumbo of the 3.2 GT  :(, and it's decidedly quiet, but for $1800 it'll do for the half-hour, no-traffic-light, skippy-dodging trip to work each day   :)

Plenty of things to fix: coolant temp low, sunroof blind is adrift, LCD trip display cactus, all speakers are popped (fixed: http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=19909.0).
But most stuff works (aircon!, locks, windows, sunroof, two keys, good lights) .

Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

Beatle

I can't believe the condition of the driver's seat.  Must have been driven by a ghost!
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd

Citroënbender

Or they put the LHS base on it!

bazzbazz

Don't forget to repaint the drivers mirror base plate.

At least you know the airbag system has no issues.  ;)
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

bazzbazz

Quote from: Beatle on September 16, 2019, 06:11:14 PM
Needs at least CV boots for rego, but has a slight clunk on the RH front so likely up for new suspension arms.

Check the roll bar and the drop links first before touching the suspension arms, not that at 140,000 km a refresh would do any harm.
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

poohbah

Well done Beatle. They still look better than almost anything else built in the last 20 years.

I'm on my second V6, but first auto. Not as quick as the manual, but as autos go, the Q system is not bad. I just drive it manually all the time.

Oh, everyone's taste is different I guess, but I reckon the series 1 cars with the indented grille are easily the better looking cars. So good choice!
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Beatle

[/quote]

Check the roll bar and the drop links first before touching the suspension arms, not that at 140,000 km a refresh would do any harm.
[/quote]

The paperwork for a recent rego inspection says RH CV boot U/s, and inside of RH front tyre worn.   I'm yet to jack it up and check things out but that tyre wear would point to control arm wear (or a bent chassis from some past bingle).  Si I will likely do upper & lwr control arms both sides along with drop links and roll bar bushes..

Where is a good source for these components?  Lots on ebay but significant differences in price, so how do I know what is decent quality?
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd

bazzbazz

Inside tyre wear will be due to worn upper control arms.

As for parts try the following -

www.aresespares.com.au

www.italianautomotivespares.com.au
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

bazzbazz

Quote from: poohbah on September 17, 2019, 12:23:07 AM
Oh, everyone's taste is different I guess, but I reckon the series 1 cars with the indented grille are easily the better looking cars. So good choice!

Before I bought one, I used to think the grilles on Alfa Romeos were weird & Ugly . . . . . now that I own one I consider them to be unique and distinctive! 8)
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Beatle

Quote from: bazzbazz on September 17, 2019, 10:29:51 AM
Inside tyre wear will be due to worn upper control arms.

Thanks Bazz,

Is this readily identified/narrowed down by putting the car on chassis stands and levering the suspension?
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd

Beatle

THESE THINGS ARE SENT TO TRY US!   >:( :o :'( ;)

So after looking over the front suspension I've decided to replace UCAs, LCAs, sway bar links and bushes, along with the RH CV boot which was the reason it failed the RWC from the seller.

I started to remove components for dropping the subframe - Got the exhaust separated at the Cat and flex pipes, only to destroy a flange stud in the process.  Lots of penetrant, heat, impact, but still snapped it flush using my new stud remover... Of course, it was the top stud so I couldn't get access with a drill......

Pulled the front headers off at the manifold (easier than I thought) and spent the day wearing out a variety of drill bits but managed to drill it dead centre (not bad for an old bloke with a battery drill).   Cleaned out the remnants of the stud and ran a tap through.

Along the way I also found one of the front exhaust hangar retaining bolts was loose due to a wayward captive nut in the floor.   Hopefully I can get the tunnel section down far enough to clear the subframe without having to remove this bolt.    Does anyone know if these captive nuts are accessible under the cabin carpeting?
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd

Citroënbender

If it's like the 147, then yes. From memory they are just tack welded on.

Although on a 147 removing the carpet is a fair old mission.

bazzbazz

May I suggest tacking it in place with some high strength epoxy?
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Beatle

Thanks gents.

CB:  Do you recall if it's just a nut. or is it on a plate?   i.e. could I possibly hold it in place by drilling a hole and installing a rivet?
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd