Basic 1750 GTV resto

Started by Damien Smith, September 11, 2019, 06:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damien Smith

I started a thread over 3 years ago when I first bought my car (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=16048) but thought I'd start a new one in the technical section.

After reading about Terminator's LAD 777 it's safe to say mine is the exact opposite. It's a 1750 with a 2L engine, was originally white and given an average respray in red at some point in its murky past.

When I bought the car I had set my sights pretty high to fully strip the car, have someone wave a magic wand over the body and fit the proper 1750 engine. But this was just too hard and so nothing happened for 3 years after partially stripping the car.

I've since reset my expectations much lower and just want to get it on the road so I can drive it without too much concern with perfection. Adds character anyway!

Here's how it looked when I first bought it. It was in Melbourne but believe it was a Canberra car.

Here's how it looks now with inspiration from my favourite coffee mug

Done so far:
- rebuilt the brakes and had the master cylinder reconditioned
- new clutch slave and rebuilt master
- new wiring harness
- new front wheel bearings/grease & brake discs
- new handbrake cables
- new rear brake discs

Looking through what I've bought recently here's my current to do list:
- new tie rod ends
- various bushes
- new ball joint boots
- Eibach lower springs
- new rebound straps
- new fuel filler neck
- windscreen washer bag with electric pump, hose, jets
- electronic ignition to replace the points
- clean the fuel tank, blow out the fuel line & replace filters

Then work out how to make the body a bit more presentable. I don't care if it looks like a well used 50yo car because it will be next year. I'd be happy with the same shade of red all over even if it's faded and a bit dinged but it has some different shade splodges to cover what was bare metal. There are rust spots at the base of each side rear window and bog in the lower front guards but that's all.

It needs a headlining and rear demister so the front and rear glass will have to come out.

The dash could do with a refurb but the tan seats are in great condition. Needs carpet and the door trims are a bit average so I'm planning to DIY new trims. I found a seller of moulded carpets on eBay which look promising.

Finally on advice from Robert Panetta I'll get the carbies rebuilt when everything else is done.

So that's the plan! Trying to keep it as basic as possible so it actually gets finished and on the road.

bazzbazz

Quote from: Damien Smith on September 11, 2019, 06:57:50 PM
Trying to keep it as basic as possible so it actually gets finished and on the road.

Well yes, that IS the problem, isn't it!  ;)
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Damien Smith

The eternal struggle - when is a car ever finished really [emoji846]

bonno

Hi Damien
Good to see you have a plan to carry out the resto/refresh of your Alfa 105, which will be extremely useful in getting the car back on the road ASAP. Carried out a similar exercise on my Alfetta GTV recently which has taken 3 years to complete, but did not include any fabrication/panel work to repair rust . Over this time the car was off the road for only 3 months when the full body respray was done. The renewal of all other major components such as interior, dashboard, external trims and headlights were undertaken via donor parts, with a total cost of around $10K. The cost is dependent on how much you are prepared to do versus contract out. I have provided you a useful link to a guy who is carrying out a resto of a 105 GTV and  incorporating an engine & gearbox transplant which is currently at Part 16 and updated on a weekly basis.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnidW9Wb_DjxbuAPl_Yo_Ac6B6LceyHia

Craig_m67

Quote from: Damien Smith on September 11, 2019, 06:57:50 PM
I started a thread over 3 years ago when I first bought my car

Pffft... three years.  Ha!
(I'm in double digit denial)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Citroënbender

One of the beautiful aspects of technology now is our ability to take endless high resolution photos and store them easily. It takes away so much of the old "Where did this go again?".

LaStregaNera

Quote from: Citroënbender on September 13, 2019, 10:51:13 AM
One of the beautiful aspects of technology now is our ability to take endless high resolution photos and store them easily. It takes away so much of the old "Where did this go again?".
Except - remembering to take the photo in the first place, and then finding the photo later on!
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6

Damien Smith

Quote from: Citroënbender on September 13, 2019, 10:51:13 AM

Yes, plenty of photos and plenty of notes of the order I took things off. All in Evernote.

Labelling much of the old wiring diagram certainly helped fill in the gaps in the instructions that came with the new one. Would have had no chance otherwise.

Damien Smith

OK here's a riddle for you - what involves a drill, bench vice, sockets, blow torch, hacksaw blade, screwdriver and a hammer? Getting the bushes out of the sway bar drop links because I thought I'd save a few bucks getting just the bushes instead of new links with bushes fitted 🤦‍♂️

Damien Smith

A bit more progress.

New rebound straps fitted as the originals fell apart in my hands.

Rear springs and lower control arms are out to have the bushes replaced when I get the sway bar drop link bushes pressed in.

The LCAs could do with a wire wheel and some paint too. The top surface is the worst.

Also replaced the LH threaded wheel studs with RH threads. Those LH threads caught me out twice - once when I got the car 3 years ago and again recently after I'd forgotten about the first time.

Damien Smith

I had a nice surprise yesterday. I thought for sure that the steering box was empty of oil since there were no drips coming from it, but it's half full. Needs topping up but seems to be a good sign. Once I have the tie rod ends off for replacement I'll check for play at the pitman arm in case it only leaks during movement.

Damien Smith

While I had the steering idler out for a clean and regrease I figured I'd drill & tap a hole in the housing for a grease nipple to make the task easier in future.

Angled just right to get a grease gun down next to the headers.

bazzbazz

Quote from: Damien Smith on September 13, 2019, 08:52:18 PM
OK here's a riddle for you - what involves a drill, bench vice, sockets, blow torch, hacksaw blade, screwdriver and a hammer? Getting the bushes out of the sway bar drop links because I thought I'd save a few bucks getting just the bushes instead of new links with bushes fitted 🤦‍♂️

I believe this falls into one of those "Seemed a good idea at the time" scenarios.   ::)

;D
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

f1fascination

Hi Damian, just had a look at your thread, have you thought of having your arms sandblasted and powder coated?
They look nice when done, and cheap enough to have done if you can find someone.
Also, I replace the oil in my steering box after I rebuilt it with Penrite Steering Box grease, no leaks ever that way!
Not too bad to rebuild, I sourced some new ball bearings from a bearing supplier and made my own gaskets.
Good luck with the rest of your restoration!
Scruffy though charming 1973 GTV 2000

Damien Smith

Thanks for the tips. I have some Penrite Steering Box grease on the way.

I did think about getting things sandblasted and powder coated or painted but the problem is that once I start I'll want to do everything perfectly and it'll never get finished [emoji846]