105 brake upgrade with 14” steel wheels

Started by karl, April 01, 2019, 01:49:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karl

Hi All, 105 brake upgrade with 14" steel wheels

I'm looking for brakes upgrade for 67 Duetto. Any suggestion? Doesn't need to be fancy, it's for fast road car purpose. Better to fit 14" steel wheel. Looking for better stopping power and pedal feeling.
I've installed Alfaholics Adjustable Dual Circuit Brake Balance Box but it wasn't help and feels like worse than before installed. Any help?

Thanks All.

giulia_veloce

Hi karl

Use  105 series 2 litre  ATE original brakes 1971-1976 Aust delivered.
You will have to replace stub axle and disc,,so get a complete set up,and overhaul the calipers and wheel bearings and use good quality brake pads.
Others will say use alfa 75 aluminium calipers on your existing stub axles,but I prefer to use the above for originality
Change the rears also to ATE if not already done
My 1967 GSGT has the above set up with original single circuit brake master cylinder with no problems.
But I did replace the brake pedal from a 2 litre which is longer and better feel.
While changing the stub axle assy,,might be time to check your suspension bushes and replace as required,,or just replace the lot.

Ask 12 different people and you will get 12 different responces.

The above brakes I recommend are also used for fast road.track,and racing,with no problems.
So,,go find a 105 2 litre front brake assy with stub axle and change it after you overhaul everything.
And yes,,14 inch wheel will fit and I prefer over 15s.
Have done heaps of these conversions on customer cars ,with happy customers and the original look.
Hope this helps
Robert
Sydney Australia

Could you please add the State of Australia you live in

karl

Thanks Robert,

I'm in Melbourne Victoria, thank you for your suggestion. Now I know something to start with. My car not original in every way. Engine , seats, suspension etc. I replace the Alfaholics box because the previous brake master cylinder leaking, but once installed it the brake can't even stop the car. 

Thanks Robert. Good to know few more option.

LaStregaNera

What master cylinder sizes fitted to the Alfaholics pedal box?
I'm assuming you've removed the booster as well?

My setup:
66 GTV
2l Front ATEs, 2l rear ATEs, DS2500 pads, no booster, converted to dual circuit using a relatively common ATE tandem master and custom mounting bracket that's the correct bore size for no booster.
Pedal feel is excellent, car stops brilliantly.

I went down this path because I didn't like how far off the rail the alfaholics pedal box hung, and the fact that there's no off the shelf master for the Alfaholics pedal box that's the right size for non boosted stock calipers (I believe they supply some masters that are sleeved down to suit - 0.675" or something - pain in the arse if you have to replace or rebuild them at some point).
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6

karl

Thanks LaStregaNera

I need double check with Alfaholics but I believe they sent my smaller size as I told them I'm running standard 67 Caliper. My car has no booster anyway.

Thanks all reply.
Best regards
Terry

karl

Hi All

Just some update for the issue, spoke to alfaholic. The said if the installation was right, the issue would be the brake pad. They suggest me to change to DS3000 front/Back with steel brake line. It may be because I got really old brake pad.

They also mentioned the bigger bore size will reduce the braking power because I asked them what spec of size they sent me. When I ordered the box, i did mention my car running standard 67 caliper all around which is the smaller one.   " Making the bore size bigger will reduce the brake power so not a good idea! " that's what they quoted.

Isn't good to try the brake pad before touch the calipers?

Thanks All, any suggestion would help.

Colin Edwards

With all respect to Alfaholic's, Pascal and Newton would be turning in their respective graves!!

Is it possible Alfaholics were referring to the bore size of the master cylinder?

DS2500's would probably a better choice for a road car.  Seem to recall Ferodo warning against using DS3000's on the road.  Not much friction when cold!

Braided brake lines throughout could be a benefit if your increasing slave cylinder diameter and existing lines are more than 20 years old.
Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5