WTB 116 GTV Door seals

Started by sudsy, August 31, 2019, 08:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bteoh

Hi,
Thanks for sharing your info. Any reference numbers for the Clark Rubber seals that you found?
Cheers

poohbah

for what its worth, I replaced one of my GTV door seals with Clark Rubber product about 18 months ago. No problems at all.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

bonno

Find attached link to Clark rubber  extrusion profiles. My guess is that the closest profiles for the GTV door seal  are either profiles #39 - #45. 
https://www.clarkrubber.com.au/rubber/extrusions?p=1

poohbah

I don't know what number the one I bought was - I just took a slice of the original seal with me and compared it directly with the different rolls at Clark.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

sudsy

I'll swing by Clarke tomorrow and get the product number..

Not sure if it has the breather holes but I'll check that too..

Gone not forgotten
74 Sud Ti
74 Sud L
74 Alfetta
79 Sud 1.5 Ti
78 GTV
86 75 2.5

Current
79 GTV
79 Alfetta

sudsy

Went back to Clarke Rubber

This is their shelf label for those interested.
I can't yet personally endorse this seal, but it is to my eye and measurements identical to the OEM seal.

Gone not forgotten
74 Sud Ti
74 Sud L
74 Alfetta
79 Sud 1.5 Ti
78 GTV
86 75 2.5

Current
79 GTV
79 Alfetta

sudsy

Quote from: sportiva on September 27, 2019, 03:46:45 PM
I also have the Clark rubber seals in my GTV6. If you need to pull the door hard to close it, have a look at the striker on the door jam it is adjustable so sometimes a small adjustment will help.
The striker also has a plastic ring under an outer floating spring steel ring if the plastic ring is missing or worn out and the steel ring has too much play, closing the door can be difficult.

Thank you..Yes they are a bit hard to close without slamming..But at least they do close fully now..
I'm going to try to bed the donated sedan seals for a while and then I'll visit the striker adjustment. I think they have been adjusted tighter over the years as the old seals get flatter and flatter
Gone not forgotten
74 Sud Ti
74 Sud L
74 Alfetta
79 Sud 1.5 Ti
78 GTV
86 75 2.5

Current
79 GTV
79 Alfetta

sudsy

Quote from: sportiva on September 27, 2019, 03:46:45 PM
I also have the Clark rubber seals in my GTV6. If you need to pull the door hard to close it, have a look at the striker on the door jam it is adjustable so sometimes a small adjustment will help.
The striker also has a plastic ring under an outer floating spring steel ring if the plastic ring is missing or worn out and the steel ring has too much play, closing the door can be difficult.

So, with old sedan seals fitted and only a small length of seal both sides to be added, all is now good.

LHS closes convincingly albeit with a push.. RHS will shut fully but a much bigger and less soundly push.

But looking at the striker plates...passenger side LHS is good and now greased up.. but the RHS (driver) striker has nothing but the loose metal ring...

The outer metal ring just moves around without restriction.  How is this fixed?

Thank you brain trust
Gone not forgotten
74 Sud Ti
74 Sud L
74 Alfetta
79 Sud 1.5 Ti
78 GTV
86 75 2.5

Current
79 GTV
79 Alfetta

bonno

Hi Sudsy
So the striker plate attached to B pillar has the cylindrical part that engages to door mechanism loose. Remove the striker plate and see whether you are able to tighten (no provision to tighten when viewed). Failing this you may require a new or second hand replacement part. One final point, make sure that the mating mechanism is latching correctly and locks into position when engaged.