replace the alternator or not..

Started by cc, July 18, 2019, 09:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cc

Hi
What do people think on either having the old alternator tarted up or getting a new one.
Have heard that overhauling isnt a guarantee of another 20 years service. I had the 156's alternator done a while ago. new brushes, commutator skimmed and bench tested for i think $180 & i supplied  the new rectifier on  the back of it.

bazzbazz

You can get brand new items from Italian Automotive Spares for around $300.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Citroƫnbender

I've been told that PAS fluid can compromise the insulation of windings. Have not experienced this on any alternator I've dismantled.

On some the rear bearing is difficult to replace and costs about $20, most front bearings are under $10.

Slip rings for many alternator "families" are serviced by HC Cargo, a subsidiary of Bosch.

Wet blasting, glass bearing, solvent washing preps are all at the whim of the person making these choices - I don't believe any one approach is necessarily superior.

But - if one replaces slip rings, fits an OE brush holder / regulator assembly, cleans the housing and renews the shaft bearings - providing an initial test confirms good it should last so well as any new alternator.