GTV6 ignition module replacement

Started by CraigGTV6, July 14, 2019, 04:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigGTV6

Hello guru's
We're taking the GTV6 from NE vic to the Bay to Birdwood this year, and although it's running well, I'd like to take a few spares 'just in case'....
My biggest worry is the ignition module which is the alloy box type, and is the same age as the car. After extensive searching I can't find a straight replacement. Most parts suppliers list the TIM 017 as the replacement but it looks nothing like the original, and has 7 pins not 6. I'm concerned that 'on the side of the road' I may not be able to wire it up, ie a different plug would be required etc.
My questions are:
Is this the correct replacement module?
If it is, How easy is it to swap in on the side of the road?
Should I do it beforehand?
Also, what are other blokes and ladies doing as an ignition upgrade as these old Italian mistresses age?
What other spares should I carry? I have hoses/fuel line, plugs, fuel pump,etc. wondering about coil, rotor etc.
Car is 1/85, 2.5L
Any help much appreciated; thanks in advance!!

CraigGTV6

Thanks, Sportiva, that sounds like what I want. I can see what's going on there and the best bet would be to have it all done before I leave and it would be a simple removal of the patch cable and plug into the new module. Happy days.
I would need both a male ( for the patch lead ) and a female ( for the loom connection ) connector.
Are these a readily obtainable thing? I mean, is the 7 pin connector a common/universal part?
Anything else I should look at carefully before I leave? I need to be as self sufficient as possible as I don't think the RACV or SA equivalent would be any help, apart from towing...
😊

CraigGTV6

Colin Edwards

If not already done, replace ALL ignition leads, replace distributor cap and replace distributor rotor.

A multimeter with fresh quality batteries, full set of fuses, assorted bits of wire, crimp lugs, crimpers, heat sink paste, and insulation tape.
Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

martym00se72

Do we qualify for the Bay to Birdwood now? I have an '83 and thought that was too 'young' for it...
'83 GTV6 - 3.0 is in! Ohhh yeah!
'99 156 T-spark - Formula 98 ready!

What do people do with their old 2.5...?