Alfetta '81 GTV Steering Wheel Flaking

Started by fazersix, July 06, 2019, 05:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fazersix

Hi,
My wood effect steering wheel has started to flake, looks to be a poly coating or something. I though that I could just sand the edges smooth and clear coat it. But nah, it keeps flaking further. If I keep sanding the top layer off it looks like a wood effect plastic underneath!. Is there any way to simulate the original wood effect?
Any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks

bonno

fazersix

Excellent thanks Bonno, I was worried about not getting the light and dark patterns, but looking at the link you sent and my wheel more closely, I can see that the light patches are where the clear coat has completely lifted. Cheers

bonno

Just on a final note,  the flaking topcoat lacquer needs to be removed either by peeling it off or sanding it back to a sound smooth surface. When happy with the surface preparation, the timber stain should be applied evenly, then use strokes of black paint to give you the desired grain effect (if required). I have attached a recent photo of the steering wheel 3 years after completing the job and it has stood up well.   

fazersix

Hey Bonno
Thanks for your advice. I decided to just clear coat it after sending the old clear coat of. It came up well

bonno

Nice job, plus the added benefit of finding it easier to steer, particular when parking as compared to a smaller steering wheel as was the situation in my case.

poohbah

I also much prefer the steering weight of the original wheel. Previously had small sports wheel, and it was awful at low speeds.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)