Sourcing 7.5mm EFI hose

Started by Kay_147_GTA, July 03, 2019, 12:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kay_147_GTA

So I recently had the short fuel hose that runs to the back fuel rail split on me on my 147 GTA. So I just popped down to Supercheap and picked up a new bit of hose that looked about the right size, ripped off the old one and popped the new one on. Everything was good.

That was 2 months back and it now seems that the new hose has expanded slightly where it goes over the plastic connector on the other end from the fuel rail and isn't staying on correctly, leaking fuel over the engine.

After a bit of reading I now realise that I needed 7.5mm hose (not 5/8 sometimes listed at 7.5mm), which I will then clamp on with proper EFI hose clamps.

Anyone know the best place to find this? I've Googled a bit but not found anything that I would confidently buy?
2005 147 GTA Monza (96 of 100)

Citroënbender

7.5 is an odd size. Some VW injected cars and some French EFI engines used 7mm.

So far as spec is concerned, you need SAE J30 R9 (ideal) or R10. Note R7 and R14 are not suitable - the latter too low a safe pressure, the former too permeable with adulterated fuel (Oz pump fuel).

I'd think with a set of decent clamps that 5/16ID of the above spec in Dayco or Gates would be ideal.

Kay_147_GTA

Thanks CitroenBender, yeah it does seem to be, but it would be a very Alfa thing to fit a hose that is quite unique and hard to find lol.

Will definitely ensure it has the right pressure rating though.

Kay_147_GTA

I think I could also go AN6 braided fuel line as the inner size seems closer than 3/8's.

Would also look cooler :D

Citroënbender

Check it has a suitable equivalent rating for pressure and permeability.

bonno

Hi Kay_147_GTA
I take it that an OEM replacement part is not your preference. If so, have you considered Aramid 7.3mm ID and 13.5mm OD manufactured iaw DIN 7339 3E. This fuel line and associated hose clips will handle the pressure of fuel injection systems and have superior properties for use with bio and ethanol based fuels. Find attached link to the product (Refer to Description) 
https://mrinjectoruk.co.uk/73mm-id-High-pressure-fuel-injector-hose-C336439.aspx?sid=8716

Kay_147_GTA

Quote from: Citroënbender on July 03, 2019, 07:08:40 PM
Check it has a suitable equivalent rating for pressure and permeability.

The nylon braided hose i'm looking at is rated for 300PSI so it should be good.

Kay_147_GTA

Quote from: bonno on July 03, 2019, 08:16:15 PM
Hi Kay_147_GTA
I take it that an OEM replacement part is not your preference. If so, have you considered Aramid 7.3mm ID and 13.5mm OD manufactured iaw DIN 7339 3E. This fuel line and associated hose clips will handle the pressure of fuel injection systems and have superior properties for use with bio and ethanol based fuels. Find attached link to the product (Refer to Description) 
https://mrinjectoruk.co.uk/73mm-id-High-pressure-fuel-injector-hose-C336439.aspx?sid=8716

Cheapest I can find for the pipe & rail is £108.00 inc VAT, so minus VAT but adding delivery you're probably looking at $200+

https://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/parts/147_Injector.shtml

That's a lot of money to replace 20cm of hose.

Bobulon

Quote from: Kay_147_GTA on July 04, 2019, 02:03:37 PM

Cheapest I can find for the pipe & rail is £108.00 inc VAT, so minus VAT but adding delivery you're probably looking at $200+

You can get out of it cheaper but you need a mate with a lathe and some welding skills. I cut the end off the fuel rail and welded a thick round metal piece on the end with a drilled and tapped hole for a 6AN fitting. The fitting on the other end had to be modified on a lathe to fit on the front fuel rail. Still cost about $80 for the fittings and hose from Aeroflow.

bazzbazz

You can always achieve anything cheaper with the right mate around, it's finding the right mate that's the problem.  ;D

As I always say -

"It's not what you know in life that matters, it's not who you know in life that matters, it's who you have dirt on that matters!"  8)

On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Bobulon

Quote from: bazzbazz on July 07, 2019, 07:13:08 PM
You can always achieve anything cheaper with the right mate around, it's finding the right mate that's the problem.  ;D

too true bazz

Kay_147_GTA

Quote from: Bobulon on July 07, 2019, 04:33:19 PM
Quote from: Kay_147_GTA on July 04, 2019, 02:03:37 PM

You can get out of it cheaper but you need a mate with a lathe and some welding skills. I cut the end off the fuel rail and welded a thick round metal piece on the end with a drilled and tapped hole for a 6AN fitting. The fitting on the other end had to be modified on a lathe to fit on the front fuel rail. Still cost about $80 for the fittings and hose from Aeroflow.

Nice! No friends like that though  :(