lifting an engine or having a bout with a 300kg italian wrestling champion

Started by cc, June 25, 2019, 06:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cc

how hard can it be. With patience, an engine crane lifting paraphernalia and optimism.What else do you need!
Because i was lifting the engine from the 2 engine mounts at the front and not paying attention to the rear mount the engine ended up in the orientation in pic one.
My optimism dribbled out like the engine oil thru  the top breather hole!
Got thinking about C of G and used a couple of ronstan marine pulleys to right it. See pic 2.
Thank you Ronstan!

bazzbazz

Just out of curiosity, did you do the belts while you had the engine out of the car?
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

cc

Hi Bazz
Yes belts done on the CF1.
The next event in wrestling the engine will be removing the gearbox to replace the clutch.
One of the challenges is that the rear engine mount; that the engine is currently sitting on, bolts thru to the bell housing. So will maybe sit the engine on the 2 front engine mounts and the sump then take the gearbox off.
Other bits to attend to include:
Remove replace the 2 drive shaft seals.
One of the plastic caps covering the ends of the balance shafts on the gear box side is leaking slightly so will swop them out.
The rods linking the gear stick to the gearbox could be replaced. One of them had no bushing at all.
Replace the rear main seal.
Recon or replace the alternator.
Replace spark plugs; they look v old.

I read one of your posts that mentioned Arese spares, so i compared prices from the Alfaworkshop in the UK and Arese and there is only a cigarette paper between them. So will be putting an order in with Arese.

Ive bought another 156
(they are so cheap now. if wondering how to rationalise a lot of alfa, you buy them for other people! this one for my son)

Qld members may have seen it advertised in the club magazine. Its a 2004 V6 with Dupont Rosso alfa paint: 130 B/B. Whats amazing tho, is its still a one owner (im the second). So the first owner information on the Retail delivery Advice page  in the Warranty and Maintenance Schedule booklet is the owner i bought it off for $600. The paint is in poor condition. My first 156 also has Dupont paint in very good condition and i thought as a result that Dupont was a better quality than Herberts (the other paint brand ive seen used). Not so.
Have priced a re spray with me providing the car sanded back with all the removables like door handles removed. $7000. phew.
The water pump is leaking so will be replacing every thing that moves on that side of the engine.
cheers

bazzbazz

You should have replaced clutch BEFORE reinstalling engine. Just my opinion.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

cc

yes i agree. Havent put the engine back in yet tho : )
Things usually go slowly in the garage, my alfa 1 still has work to do!