156 v6 engine swap

Started by gee-train62, June 21, 2019, 07:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gee-train62

Hello fellow Alfista's....this is my first post on this forum. I have a 2000model 2.5l v6 auto Q 156. Engine/transmission is very good.. Body is "OK".
I have access to a 2005 156 2.5 with a blown motor(timing belt casualty). The body/trim is very good...I want to put my motor in the good body...
  only issue is the new body is manual...not that that's a problem...I love the Q, lots of fun, as is manual...its a QUESTION OF $$. What is the most cost effective option....manual or auto?
Any advice/wisdom?
thanks

bonno

The most cost effective option as indicated by Sportiva is putting the good engine in the later model and keeping it a manual. The only changeover would be the flywheel and clutch assembly to the donor engine. 

gee-train62

Many thanks, i will let you know how it all goes.....

Mick A

One other big problem you have is while your car is a CF1, the 2005 model is a CF3 car, completely different wiring loom, ECU type and location, amongst a few other differences. So to get it to work you'd have to change the whole wiring loom and inlet manifold and use the computer from that engine, which will match the chip in the keys for that car.

I'm not sure how much of the loom is intertwined with the rest of the car, and that manual car ECU might not take any input from the auto in regards to throttle position etc so may not work with an auto box, so keeping it manual would be the only option I think.

bazzbazz

Everything everyone has said is quite correct.

Just take the bare engine from the auto, no electrics, exhaust, just the engine itself, and put it in the manual.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au