156 JTS front sway bar bushings and ball joints

Started by SeleMatt, June 08, 2019, 05:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeleMatt

Greetings Alfisti,

I've been researching and it appears the factory front ARB 'D' bushings are bonded to the 'D' bracket which in turn is riveted to the cross member. Apparently I'll need drill out the rivets and then after removing the bushes from the bar, burn out/somehow remove the old D bushes from the D brackets; drill out the rivet holes to fit bolts/nuts and the new SuperPro bushings.

Is this all true enough?

I've also been trying to find a link that works to download a workshop manual as I'm also changing out the upper and lower control arms.

Any advice on doing this this job or a workshop manual link (that works) would be most appreciated.

Cheers.

Craig_m67

1. Buy a new bar with the correct Alfa bushes already fitted in place

2. otherwise, yes.  Remove bar, drill out rivets, replace bushes, use machine screws/bolts to replace rivets and refit bar

It will still creak, refer #1

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

SeleMatt

Thanks Craig.

There's nothing good about creaking.

Does this happen because  factory 'D' clamp isn't an exact match to the profile of the Super pro 'D' bush?

There is a steel 'D' clamp available for a 22mm bar from Superpro.

I don't see why there should be creak if the bush/clamp is a match and that the bar isn't worn and is the correct diameter.

Thoughts anyone?

bazzbazz

This Should help a little -

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-andamp-gt/338955-147-anti-roll-bar-change.html

Just don't forget to unhook the retaining clamp for the power steering hose to the subframe, otherwise it will be hooked up and you could damage the line.

Subframe just has to be lowered enough to get the bar out, does not have to be removed totally.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

SeleMatt

Thanks very much Baz.

Because I'm changing the upper and lower control arms, I'd be best off removing the struts and the rest first and leaving the ARB removal until last?

Care to share an opinion on using factory 'D' clamps for Superpro bushes vs using Superpro 'D' clamps?

Citroënbender

A 147 torrent will cover most of the chassis and drivetrain stuff, although interior and wiring will be plain wrong.

Craig_m67

A little bit of my journey with Sooty can be found here :)

http://www.ausalfa.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11495&hilit=Craig&start=150

I reused the original D clamp, drilled out the rivets etc.
Poly bushes are "known" to squeak.. your mileage may vary :)

It's the sintered collars on the bar, that lock and stop the bar from sliding in the bushes which are important.  If they're damaged it gets exponentially more dodgy/difficult

Removing the whole subframe as Bazz suggests isn't required as it's a complete bear to do .. but if you're in there already

bazzbazz

"Bye bye Sooty . . bye bye . . . "

(Sung to Bye bye Birdie, bye bye")   ;D
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Citroënbender

It's one of those silly bits of Alfa manufacture, you look at it and go "What was wrong with a standard saddle and bush?".  Made more amazing by negligible aftermarket support for a replacement kit.  Maybe someone needs to flag this with SuperPro.

SeleMatt

Thank you gentlemen.

That's certainly a start. Useful pics too Craig. I'll wait 'til I get the bar out, but I'm already thinking that the matching Superpro brackets will be the way to go...engineered for each other.

Craig_m67

Quote from: SeleMatt on June 11, 2019, 07:49:23 PM
Thank you gentlemen.

That's certainly a start. Useful pics too Craig. I'll wait 'til I get the bar out, but I'm already thinking that the matching Superpro brackets will be the way to go...engineered for each other.

The bracket may be engineered for the bush but critically it has to bolt to subframe - you already know that the original fits, make sure and check the Superpro fits before you throw anything away.   After market stuff never has the same tolerances as original, never.

SeleMatt

So I now have all the parts required to do this job except for the exhaust gaskets. Will I need to replace them after having dropped the exhaust to do the sway bar bushes etc or do they usually survive this process? Our very good friends at Italian Automotive Spares don't carry them in stock.

bazzbazz

On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

SeleMatt

Thanks Bazz. Arese only list that gasket for the TS. Is it the same as the TS? Part No 46823142 or 46772217...obviously I don't know what it looks like yet...

bazzbazz

Arese have both gaskets on their website.

The Manifold Gasket 73502761 and the Joiner Gasket 73503584.
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast