Alfetta GTV Clutch

Started by Cam D, May 22, 2019, 09:21:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cam D

Hi everyone

Long time reader. First time poster

Car is 1979 Alfetta GTV 2.0

Has been off the road for 4 months while I've been doing a interior freshen up. But would start it up regularly to keep everything moving. About a week ago, without having touched anything, the clutch suddenly felt 'different'

It's still functioning, but feels like it doesn't have as much pressure. The clutch point now also feels closer to the floor than it previously was.

I'm thinking at this stage more likely to be a hydraulic issue rather than an actual mechanical problem with the clutch.

So my question is ...
With No fluid loss evident in reservoir or leaks visible at master or slave end, where do I start my trouble shooting?

Is there any way of telling if the master or slave is the problem? I'm trying to avoid replacing parts unnecessary using the hit and miss method

Many thanks
Cam
Current Alfa's:
1975 Alfetta GT
1979 Alfetta GTV
1983 Alfetta GTV
2007 147 ti

Past Alfa's:
1969 1750 GTV
1982 Alfetta GTV
1985 33 ti
1988 75 (3.0)

bonno

Hi and welcome Cam
If there are no sign of any leakage as indicated, then I would bleed the system (slave and master cylinders) and see if this rectifies the problem.

Cam D

Thanks bonno

I'm waiting for a power bleeder I've ordered to see what they are like.

Just for my benefit...if the system hasn't been cracked open at all, and it's been functioning fine previously, I'm guessing air probably hasn't gotten into it. Are you thinking that the fluid has become contaminated and not doing it's job anymore?

Ps I reeeeeeally like your GTV!
Current Alfa's:
1975 Alfetta GT
1979 Alfetta GTV
1983 Alfetta GTV
2007 147 ti

Past Alfa's:
1969 1750 GTV
1982 Alfetta GTV
1985 33 ti
1988 75 (3.0)

poohbah

Cam, while you are waiting for the bleeder to arrive, pop onto the next thread down and add your car to the Alfetta 116 register.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Citroƫnbender

Clutch is definitely not stuck? Try starting the car in fourth with foot on the brake and clutch depressed. This will generally bully a sticky (from sitting) clutch loose.

bonno

Hi Cam
As you indicate another possibility is fluid contamination. Anyway here is a link to a good reference link for troubleshooting clutch systems.
http://clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/ts-04.htm

poohbah

Cam, I had clutch issues in mine about a year ago. For a while the pedal had a little bit of slack at the top (ie before I felt resistance) but was functioning fine, so I put up with it. After a while I had a sudden failure at the slave (seal ruptured, loss of brake fluid). Had it replaced, but there was still a bit of play at the top of the pedal travel. Shortly after the pedal went to the floor and, and the clutch froze and wouldn't disengage. This time the master had failed - replacing the worn out slave on its own meant the old master became the weakest point and subsequently failed.

Not your situation, but the play at the top of the pedal travel seemed to indicate problem at master end in mine.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Cam D

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will try the pressure bleeder first when it arrives. If that fails to have any impact, will continue the troubleshooting...
Current Alfa's:
1975 Alfetta GT
1979 Alfetta GTV
1983 Alfetta GTV
2007 147 ti

Past Alfa's:
1969 1750 GTV
1982 Alfetta GTV
1985 33 ti
1988 75 (3.0)

Craig_m67

Is the only variable in your starting routine the weather... ie, did it become considerably colder at some stage?

Over the years (when I lived in Canberra) I had the master or slave seals on many Alfa clutches fail due to snap cold weather.  Bleeding helped initially, but it seems the cold weather exposed the lack of flexibility in the seals (plungers/cups) as they aged.

I live in Brisbane now.  Happy life, Happy (warm) Wife/Alfa/Kids/Feet....
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Cam D

Ahhhhh! You might be onto something there Craig. Car lives on the street (unfortunately) in Perth. We've just come out of usual hot summer down to 2 degree nights. I get the feeling I'm not going to know if it's the master or slave until it finally gives way
Current Alfa's:
1975 Alfetta GT
1979 Alfetta GTV
1983 Alfetta GTV
2007 147 ti

Past Alfa's:
1969 1750 GTV
1982 Alfetta GTV
1985 33 ti
1988 75 (3.0)

GTVeloce

My suggestion is start with a simple gravity bleed. Crack the nipple and let the fluid drain into a container just with gravity (don't use the pedal). Once the fluid has been flushed and topped up, take her for a decent drive.

If that doesn't work it is most likely the seals or worse in either master or slave. The slave is easy to access the master is not. If you got through the process of rebuilding or replacing the master do the slave at the same time as it is relatively quite easy and chances are if one is in trouble the other won't be far behind.