How to replace slave clutch cylinder hose?

Started by Kay_147_GTA, April 21, 2019, 12:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kay_147_GTA

So I've noticed for a while now that my clutch seems to be getting air into it as well as leaking fluid, so I thought I'd have a look at the slave cylinder yesterday. The cylinder itself looks fine and I'm told was fairly new by the previous owner however I noticed an oily substance (can't work out of clutch fluid or not) at the bottom of the hose and what looks like a crack on the inner curve of the hose where it goes into the joint (circled red). I'm going to assume this crack is the cause of the air in / fluid out however I can't seem to work out how to change the hose? Not sure how it's connected into the joint on both ends? Is it a complete unit? If so, I can't seem to find it as a spare anywhere? I've been searching for clutch slave cylinder hose? I have removed most of the liquid in the picture from the hose.

Any help would be appreciated!
2005 147 GTA Monza (96 of 100)

Pseudonym

Take the whole thing off and get enzed or hosemaster to make a new one. It looks like they'd cut it off and weld the new fitting on, which will probably still work out cheaper than oem

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Kay_147_GTA

Thanks Sportiva, I think I will need to replace the hose, where did you find the link for that picture please?

Kay_147_GTA

Thanks, that part doesn't quite look the same as the one for the GTA though. After a lot of Googling I think I have found the part number which is KS3200 which is specific for the GTA.

bazzbazz

That doesn't sound right for the part number. Give me the Vin# of your car and I will see if I can find the correct part #. Might make tracking the right part down easier.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Citroënbender

Bazz, do you get 55186526 also?

(Discontinued, BTW.)

bazzbazz

Just remove that section of hose and take it to any hydraulic hose repair service provider. I reckon it would cost $50-$100 to refurbish to like new.

Hell of a lot cheaper than new original hose would cost, even if you could find one.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Kay_147_GTA

Kay_147_GTA

Citroënbender

Unfortunately, the annotation "生産終了" means discontinued!

Kay_147_GTA

Bah! Might just have to do what BazzBazz suggest and take it to an Enzed and get them to replace the tubing. Might even get them to make the tubing slightly longer so there's not so much stress on the rubber at the bottom bend.

Citroënbender

Some thoughts:

First the hose as photographed looks different to the spares listings - maybe it has been improvised, shonked or mis-routed previously? It looks like the end furthest from the slave, terminates with the flex line - not into a hardline.

Second, there are brake places who could make up something to suit, you're not necessarily stuck with Pirtek etc.

Thirdly, last I dealt with a hose doctor for a comparable job it was $165 and that was 2012!

Pseudonym

Yeah I had a similar power steering hose on a Nissan done by enzed, $100 a few years back. Nissan could get it but for something like $160+GST

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Kay_147_GTA

So I've been down to Enzed and Pirtek and they both say the same, bring the hose in and they'll see what they can do.

So, how do I remove the hose from the end going away from the slave cylinder? I can unscrew the hard line where it goes into the slave but not sure about the other end?

Also, any tricks for stopping clutch fluid going everywhere?

Citroënbender

Make up a dummy cap for the remaining hard line, out of an old flex line or new fitting, brazed shut. That will keep the loss of DOT4 to a minimum.

Why not see what a proper brake place can do? Doesn't have to be Hoppers but a well-tooled workshop with hose and hard line fabrication ability.