Help- Off the shelf basic service products & recommendations - Giulietta QV

Started by Jgjgee, April 21, 2019, 11:08:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jgjgee

Hi all,
Having enjoyed many countless hours in the garage working on older Alfa's, I would like to expand my basic service knowledge on the some the newer vehicles. My 2012 Giulietta QV is due for a basic service and I want to tackle this one myself  :o.  I have noticed that there doesn't appear to be a whole lot of information (in comparison to older 105s GTVs etc) out there regarding off the shelf /generic (Australian) service parts & products all in the one topic so hoping to confirm the parts I intend to use are compatible with my 1750 QV or even someone share some alternatives/experience. I know there are hundreds of products/brands. I don't intend to crack open a fresh can of worms but hoping to simply confirm the products below are at the very least compatible for someone attempting their first basic service on their Giulietta.

Basic service parts:

Engine Oil: Penrite Enviro+5w40 (Found this recommendation on the forum. Appears its compatible with ACEAC3 FIAT 9.55535-S1 certification)

Engine Oil filter: RYCO R2766P Supercheap lists this as compatible

Air Filter - RYCO A1851 or BMC FB643/08

Spark Plugs: NGK Spark Plug Iridium - ILKAR7D6G

Anti Freeze/Coolant: Penrite 8 YEAR Long Life OAT Red

Brake Fluid- Penrite Full Synthetic, Super DOT 4 Plus, Brake Fluid, Amber Colour

Thanks for you're help!
Alfa 2000 GTV (Blue)
Alfa 2000 GTV (Red)
Alfa Sud Red (Red)
Alfa 75 TS (Red)
Alfa 75 Potenziata (Black)
Alfa Giulietta QV (Red)

Mick A

Hi (whatever your name is?),

I can confirm the engine oil, plugs, and coolant are all fine. I haven't used the other products so won't comment on those.  You can use the Penrite product selector on their website to confirm your choice.

Don't forget to replace the cabin pollen filter.

Once you've completed the service, you'll need to reset the parameters relating to oil degradation in the engine ECU, along with the standard service reset. If you don't do this you'll constantly have warnings pop up on the display.
The OBDII multipin plug is behind the panel under the steering column.

All the best.

Mick.

lombardi

Good Luck removing the oil filter , apparently not the nicest task , u r a better man than me LOL
forza lazio,viva l'alfa

Current Alfa=

Giulietta 2015 QV manual Ghiaccio

1974 Spider series 2 ,carabinieri blu

Previous Alfas=

33x4 1985 wagon
33 ti 1985
156 sportswagon manual red
Alfetta sportiva 1981 red
166 silver 1999

Jgjgee

Quote from: Mick A on April 21, 2019, 10:50:40 PM

I can confirm the engine oil, plugs, and coolant are all fine. I haven't used the other products so won't comment on those.  You can use the Penrite product selector on their website to confirm your choice.

Once you've completed the service, you'll need to reset the parameters relating to oil degradation in the engine ECU, along with the standard service reset. If you don't do this you'll constantly have warnings pop up on the display.

All the best.

Mick.

Thanks Mick! I found it quite confusing when researching the correct oil specs (other than the factory approved Salenia).  Good point regarding the service reset. The correct codes to reset/delete are easily found online. I do intend on buying a scanner a well. Any recommendations on a budget one that is compatible with FIAT/ALFA program? Ive seen a few online that seem to require different colour OBDII plugs (Red/Yellow/green/blue). Ill have to keep researching this.

Cheers
Jono
Alfa 2000 GTV (Blue)
Alfa 2000 GTV (Red)
Alfa Sud Red (Red)
Alfa 75 TS (Red)
Alfa Giulietta QV (Red)

Jgjgee

Quote from: lombardi on April 22, 2019, 11:57:18 AM
Good Luck removing the oil filter , apparently not the nicest task , u r a better man than me LOL

It certainly doesn't look straightforward. Based on what I've read so far, it appears the front (Drivers side?)wheel needs to come off as well as the inner stone guard. Then it "should be" easy enough to unscrew with a socket. Well, that's the plan anyway....

Cheers,
Jono
Alfa 2000 GTV (Blue)
Alfa 2000 GTV (Red)
Alfa Sud Red (Red)
Alfa 75 TS (Red)
Alfa Giulietta QV (Red)

bazzbazz

Oh, unscrewing the filter is easy, it's containing the flood of oil that is the tricky part . . .  ;)
8)
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Mick A

Quote from: bazzbazz on April 22, 2019, 09:15:27 PM
Oh, unscrewing the filter is easy, it's containing the flood of oil that is the tricky part . . .  ;)
8)

You know I have found if you have the oil draining and then unscrew the filter little by little as it drains the severity isn't as bad!

Mick.

Craig_m67

Quote from: Mick A on April 23, 2019, 10:46:47 PM
8)

You know I have found if you have the oil draining and then unscrew the filter little by little as it drains the severity isn't as bad!

Mick.

Hej Baz, You can practice on mine if you want  ;D
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Mick A

Quote from: Jgjgee on April 22, 2019, 05:01:37 PM

All the best.

Mick.

Thanks Mick! I found it quite confusing when researching the correct oil specs (other than the factory approved Salenia).  Good point regarding the service reset. The correct codes to reset/delete are easily found online. I do intend on buying a scanner a well. Any recommendations on a budget one that is compatible with FIAT/ALFA program? Ive seen a few online that seem to require different colour OBDII plugs (Red/Yellow/green/blue). Ill have to keep researching this.

Cheers
Jono

I recommend and use MultiECUscan.

https://www.multiecuscan.net

bazzbazz

8)

Mick.

There is a little trick that allows you to do it without spilling a single drop, not a one. Serious!  8)

Lets see if anyone can work it out.  ;)
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Jgjgee

Quote from: Mick A on April 23, 2019, 10:48:38 PM
Quote from: Jgjgee on April 22, 2019, 05:01:37 PM

All the best.

Mick.

Cheers
Jono

I recommend and use MultiECUscan.

https://www.multiecuscan.net
Thanks Mick!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Alfa 2000 GTV (Blue)
Alfa 2000 GTV (Red)
Alfa Sud Red (Red)
Alfa 75 TS (Red)
Alfa Giulietta QV (Red)

Mick A

Quote from: bazzbazz on April 23, 2019, 11:00:56 PM
8)

Mick.

There is a little trick that allows you to do it without spilling a single drop, not a one. Serious!  8)

Lets see if anyone can work it out.  ;)

Share the wisdom!

Colin Edwards

Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

bazzbazz

You've never seen the oil filter housing or where it's placed on a 1750TBi engine, have you?  ;)

A sharp implement would definitely make things worse.   :)
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

bazzbazz

It's very low tech actually.

First, slide a piece of hose over the drain tube under the filter housing and the other end into a oil catch tray.

Second, get a manila folder, open it out, cut a strip 1/3 off the longest edge, then fold that strip in half.
Now open it out so it forms a cardboard channel, slide one end all the way under the oil filter housing & run the channel out through the suspension. Now place a oil catch tray under it, unscrew the Oil Filter Cap off slowly and let all the oil flow out and run down the cardboard channel into the catch tray. Most of the oil will flow down the channel but some does come out the drain tube as well. Once all the oil has finished draining you can remove the filter and discard the cardboard channel.

Using this method I do all 1750TBI & 1.9D filter changes without spilling a drop.

K.I.S.S. methodology, its always the best.
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast