Hello.

Started by Newbie156, April 02, 2019, 06:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newbie156

I have had the key ring sitting in my drawer for years (Xmas gag gift). Now thanks to pure good fortune I am the owner of a 2000 model 156, Monza edition. It has  bit of a carpark ding in the rear right hand door but with  only 13,000ks on it. It is hard to  believe but it still has the new car smell!  The one older lady drives to the shops twice a week cars do exist, just never thought an Alfa would be one. Timing belt was done in 2010 at 7,500ks,  any other car I would wait but, figure if this is going to be my daily drive  I better do the right thing and get it looked at (replaced).  Looking forward to some fun driving and hopefully not getting my hands too dirty or my wallet too empty.

Thanks, Chris.

poohbah

Welcome to the family mate, and good luck with your entry to Alfa ownership. You gotta love the 156 - I'm onto my second, both V6. (Is yours a 4 or 6?)

And Absolutely Positively Get That Belt Changed Pronto!

You have to ignore the low km travelled: your belt is 6 years past the due replacement date, and given the lack of mileage, sounds like its probably been mostly gathering dust and getting brittle. To be honest, if it were me, I'd be wary of driving it at all til it had been changed. (for future reference, belt should be changed every 60,000km or three years - whichever comes first -  and usually change the water pump at the same time)

Its a ~$1200-1500 job, but if it were to go bang, you'll have just bought a very expensive lawn ornament.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Newbie156

Thanks mate, It is the V6 and I know it had not been gathering dust but just trips to the shops once or twice a week. The owner was on a restricted license and could not go further than 10ks from their house. Have driven over 100ks to show it off since I picked it up but will be taking your advice and the next trip will be to the mechanics.  Got quoted closer to $2ks for the work but that is Sydney for you.

poohbah

Goodo - best sounding engine in the world with less than 8 cylinders. Enjoy!

Is it 6sp manual or Q-auto? My first was a manual (my preference always) but it self-immolated and I could only locate an auto when I replaced it.

But for a conventional auto, the Q-system is pretty good, other than the usual complaints about slower off the line acceleration.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Newbie156

Q auto, and I agree about the sound, will be driving with my windows down every chance I get. Not too concerned about off the mark acceleration, has to be quicker than my Volvo.