Help with Thermo fans not working

Started by AgeG, October 26, 2008, 10:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AgeG

Howdy all,

Nothing like a hot weekend to bring to my attention thermo fans which only work when the airconditioning is running. But only one actually comes on in that instance anyway. Has anyone else had this problem before. I guess whoever put in the new air con system decided to do some interesting wiring.

At least the air con works well, considering everyone who told me that they dont work really well it was quite chilly so thats good.

Any help appreciated.

Another question is whether anyone knows any details about the Spetacollo in Nov. As i have never attended before do i need to register if i want to bring my car?

Cheers,

1989 AR 33 1.7ie Red
2005 Citroen C4 Grey
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Silver
2012 Abarth 500C EsseEsse

Alan Hopla

Age,

I have an 82 GTV that came with air-con.
The fan on the drivers side is switched by the thermatic switch in the radiator, this cuts in when my temp gauge reads about 100.
The fan on the passenger side comes on when ever the aircon and the internal fan is turned on.

It looks like both fans are fed by fuse F3, but there is a separate relay for each in the fuse box.
So if its the non aircon controlled fan it should only be , the relay, the thermo switch, or the fan itself.

Alan.
Alan Hopla
77' 116GTV
83' 116GTV TwinSpark
04' GT 3.2 V6, Stromboli Grey

alfagtv58

Quote from: AgeG on October 26, 2008, 10:18:36 PM
Another question is whether anyone knows any details about the Spetacollo in Nov. As i have never attended before do i need to register if i want to bring my car?

No need to register, just come along on the day  ;D
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

AgeG

cheers,

thanks for the reply, i will look over these again

looks like the non aircon controlled fan is not working as i have gone through the fuses and relays and all seems fine
1989 AR 33 1.7ie Red
2005 Citroen C4 Grey

joninmelbourne

Just got my Air Con regased today and only the driver's side fan comes on as well - the air con guy said this was normal. I have just been for a drive and its very very chilly, as good as a modern car for sure (as good as the 2003 Holden Astra I drove the other day at least), so hopefully this keeps up! Not sure about the bad rep of the the GTV6 air con either, perhaps its from people with leaky sytems. If anybody wants to know the name of the mobile a/c guy let me know in a PM, he was good. Cheers

AgeG

The story with the thermo fan is the right one comes on automatically with air con, they both come on when temp gets to about 97, engine should then drop to about 78 before fans switch off again. The switch for my fans from the thermostat wasnt working, $20 later, we are all good again
1989 AR 33 1.7ie Red
2005 Citroen C4 Grey

AgeG

THanks Mick,

Yep it was the switch, easy fix apart from 3rd degree burns from coolant!!!! all back and ready to go again
1989 AR 33 1.7ie Red
2005 Citroen C4 Grey