159 JTS Ti Man tyres

Started by JimB, December 27, 2021, 07:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimB

Hi All,
My '08/09 159 JTS Ti 6 speed sedan will shortly need its fourth set of tyres, at 70,000km! At the last change I went through what so many others appear to have been through. That is, the value for money equation. At the time I opted for the Italian tyre, another set of Pirelli 235/40 R19 Cinturato P7, again, at $1,300+. Just seemed so appropriate.
However, all of my driving is at relatively low speed on the very ordinary roads of the Fleurieu Penninsula, so soft, high grip tyres suitable for an autostrada or an autobahn hardly seem necessary. I figured, I'm clever, I'll be fastidious with tyre pressures and wheel alignment, drive quietly, I'll show em. Bullshit! I'll be lucky to get 26,000km for my $1,300.
They have been rotated and have worn very evenly. So now I am reconsidering the Kumho option, (goes against the  grain, I gotta say). During my 45 years in the car business, I thought more than a hundred for a tyre was a waste of money, I still think so!
Point of this rant is, for about $800 a set I like the Kumho option  HOWEVER, does anyone have any input on the acceptability to insurers nd the affect on the car, as the Kumho are slightly different in size, 245/40?
I do not need racing tyres, just appropriate, legal tyres which will give me reasonably long life. Value for money!
Alfisti, let me have your thoughts please. Jim

RedemP

I used to put 245/40 on my JTD Ti mostly due to what I thought was a slightly softer ride, availability and price. Can't comment on the technicalities of insurance, but they didn't protrude from the guards and were fine on the standard rims. Last set were Pirelli Dragon Sport, under $200 a corner at the time, not sure now but for reference at Tempe looks slightly more now.

https://www.tempetyres.com.au/tyreproducts?pirelli-2454019-98w-dragon-sport

And saw these there too. https://www.tempetyres.com.au/tyreproducts?pirelli-2454019-94w-pzero-pz4, not sure what the go is.

Malcolm

We use Bridgestone Potenza RE003 great tyre for both road and race. email membership@alfaclubsa.org.au for more info. Cheers Malcolm.
Malcolm Ebel
Life Member AROCA SA
Membership Officer
membership@alfaclubsa.org.au
04309 14 309
1st Car, Morris 8/40 Bakers Van.
2004 Alfa 147Ti 5spd manual(Sold).
1976 Alfetta 2L GT race car (Sold)
Current
2009 Alfa GT 3.2 Litre 6spd manual.
2005 Alfa GT 2 Litre Selespeed to Super Sprint

GTV6SA

For insurance legalities, tyres must be 96Y loading rate min. Lesser load rate you may have trouble claiming.