Alfa Romeo 2008 - 147 -Selespeed -Gearbox failure message

Started by Rajat, March 08, 2019, 02:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rajat

Hi Guys

Few hours back while approaching lights I was slowing down. Just when I was about to stop there was some strange low noise "gudh gudh" car went to neutral from 2nd gear driving on city mode. Light turn green and then I tried pushing to 1st gear - Error on dash "Gearbox failure". It didn't change gear stayed in neutral. Pushed my car to the side tried turning off and on with city mode turned off on manual mode. 1st time same result - turned on no gear change but this time error "gearbox not available".  Then waited for 5-10 min tried again turned on everything started working. Drove straight back to home probably 4km.

Anyone what may be the issue?

Citroënbender

Rajat

@Citro
Is that something which can be easily fixed and how much it gonna cost me? and is the car still driveable in the meantime with some minor tweak or something?

Citroënbender

Not dear, not cheap.  Somewhere in the middle. :-/

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/264103251055

The pump, Bazz does an exchange service but not sure what price.

There is a couple of hours in the pump job because the bumper comes off, then left headlight for best pump access. Extreme cleanliness is needed to keep any abrasive dust from entering the hydraulic lines. Accumulator is quick by comparison, only requiring light dismantling and a thin spanner for tightening/loosening.

I don't advise trying to keep using the car before repair. It has the potential to put you in a dangerous traffic situation - you might pull out from a side street, accelerating, and instead of going from first to second the gearbox drops to neutral with a car heading right at you.

Final stage of the service is a full re-calibration to maximise clutch life and gearbox smoothness.

Rajat

:-[
Thanks for that info.
What would be bazz?(assuming some kind of store not sure). helpful if you can point me to them.

and is there any chance this would be something which may have been caused due to low fluid levels.. Did check - found low engine oil and is running low on fuel too? Haven't check other level but will do that once have some time.

bazzbazz

Exchange Pump is $110, fully guaranteed, however I am in Brisbane, and as the service suggests, its an exchange, your old pump for a Reconditioned one.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Rajat

Thanks.
OK now I checked the fluid levels. Engine oil was just about min and transmission oil almost gone(nothing in there), coolant low as well. Service done 8 months back. Can this issue be because of this?. I topped up an engine oil but I am not sure on which brand transmission oil would go in. Any idea which one would go in and can I just top up the transmission oil? anyway there are only few drops in there. I am very optimistic that this would solve the issue and would be worth trying before taking to garage.

bazzbazz

When you look in the Reservoir you are NOT seeing the bottom of it, but a Baffle that is mounted 1/2 way down. Make sure you have the ignition on (but engine off) so the pump runs and primes the system ,then top up as per the dipstick in the reservoir cap.

The correct fluid to use is Tutela CS Speed SAE 75W oil, most Alfa product/spares suppliers should stock it.

If you can't get hold of any then Penrite LDAS can also be used in a pinch.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES USE ANY ATF FLUID/DEXTRON III OR SIMILAR AS IT WILL RUIN THE INTERNAL SEALS AND O RINGS!!!
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Rajat

Thanks for that info @bazz
Is this the product you mentioned. Confirming as it says:  steering, suspension and hydraulic
https://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/ldas#/
Would this be used in transmission oil?

bazzbazz

Yes.

It is used in the Selespeed Actuator and put in the Selespeed Fluid Reservoir on the passenger side wing of the engine bay.

It is not used in the gearbox itself.

Where are you located?
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Rajat

Thanks.
Attaching photo of what I am referring to as transmission oil box which is empty. Please confirm if this is same as selespeed fluid reservoir.
I am based out of Melbourne- Wyndham vale

bazzbazz

On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Rajat

Topped up the transmission oil as per instruction by bazz(Penrite LDAS). Did a quick short run with the car - everything went well. Fingers crossed. Hope this ends it.
Thanks bazz for your help.

Citroënbender

The oil doesn't evaporate.  It's either slowly filling up your accumulator or filling up the gearbox - hopefully the first scenario.

bazzbazz

On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast