Brera 3:2 fuel injection problem

Started by Gael, March 02, 2019, 09:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gael

Hi Alfa owners,
I own a 2007 3.2 Brera. Love it dearly, but it has a direct fuel injection problem as is getting old and engine warning light is always coming on. My mechanic has told me once the fuel injection system gets old it's going to put pressure on coils and injectors.  Is it worth getting the direct injection be fixed? Don't think it's an easy fix, is it going to keep causing me problems, or should I just say goodbye to my Alfie.
I am not sure what to do any advice would be gratefully received
Thank you Gael

Mick A

Hi Gael,

You haven't given much information, and the information you have given is quite vague and doesn't go into any detail of the reason for your mechanics opinion.

They run a high pressure injection system, the fuel pump in the tank provides pressure to another pump that is driven by the camshaft on the front head of the engine, this is a high pressure fuel pump that bumps the pressure up for the direct injection system.

Typically when these high pressure pumps fail, the car will start and idle fine, and even drive OK on light throttle up to around 3000rpm, but once you load the engine up or try climb a hill or even accelerate quickly, due to not being provided with high enough pressure the car runs lean and stutters and misfires.

The pump is driven by a little piston, and sometimes it sticks in halfway so it doesn't operate on it's full stroke.

Anyway, if this sounds like whats happening to your car, shoot me a PM and I'll help you resolve the problem, seems like a knee-jerk reaction to suggest getting rid of the car due to one potentially small and easily fixed problem.

Mick.

Colin Edwards

Hi Gael,

Agree 100% with Mick.  Definitely worth getting a second opinion on your car from an Alfa Romeo expert.

I had a 2008 159 with the same engine.  Never had any issues with it.  I did however find the spark plugs should be replaced twice as often as suggested in the Owners Manual.   Spark plugs well past their use by date will bring up an Engine Warning Light.  Renewed the plugs - all good for another 40,000 klm. 

The Engine Management System is equipped with comprehensive diagnostics.  Determining the root cause of an Engine Light / error code is pretty straight forward if you have the correct tools and experiance.  As Mick said, makes more sense to determine the problem and fix it rather than sell the car unnessecarily.

Colin 

Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

Darryl

What everyone else said. Except re the easy diagnosis part (which isn't always true, and is why you want to get diags done by someone who knows these cars).

Mick A

Did you fix your car or find the problem.