Alfa Romeo Giulietta 2.0l JTD-M TCT Clutch Overtemp Message

Started by JMac1976, February 26, 2019, 11:53:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMac1976

Hi All,
Newbie to the world of Alfa. Really enjoying the car. Had an issue early on when taking off and it changed from 1st to 2nd there was nothing, like it went into neutral. Worked out that when this happened it was 2nd, 4th and 6th that would do this, no messages or indication lights. Turn the car off wait a bit then it would be fine. After some research decided to replace the battery and it hasn't done that since. However, I am now having an issue with a clutch overtemp message. This has happened twice, once on a particularly hot day and backing the car up a steep driveway (bit if rolling back and forth) the next time was in heavy traffic, cooler day but a lot of stop start. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this, if so did you find a fix or is this just going to keep getting worse?
Cheers,
John

bazzbazz

This is not unheard of with the TCT, for some reason it just does not like reversing for any distance or loaded up periods.

Long periods of stop start traffic can cause it as well. I suspect it is caused by the clutch kiss point being out of adjustment.

A/ I assume that since this last happened and it has all cooled down the TCT is working properly again?

B/ When was the last time the TCT was calibrated and the Clutch calibrated?
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

JMac1976

Hi Bazz,
Thanks for the reply. I've only had the car about 10 months is for 2012 model with about 70k on it. I haven't had it calibrated and I don't think the previous owner did either. It's working fine at the moment, just trying to avoid it happening again.
Any recommendations on where to get this done?

bazzbazz

On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Citroƫnbender

That's a bit far from Bazz, unless you were planning a driving holiday.  :)

Something I found to smooth out reversing in the earlier Selespeed boxes, was to use handbrake and throttle instead of footbrake and throttle - the computer didn't see the brake application the same way and I could more or less slip the clutch like a slow manoeuvre in a regular manual.

At six years of age, I would be thinking the accumulator may also need replacement.

bazzbazz

The newer Accumulators in Giulietta are much better/longer lived than the older 147/156 units.

May I suggest Alfa Men or Zagame. If they can't sort you out no one can.
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Mick A

Hi John I've sent you a PM with some info and recommendations.

bazzbazz

On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Mick A

Haha thanks Bazz. ;)

I should do a post on these TCT clutches one day and explain how the whole thing works, they are very clever but maybe overly complex.. Concentric shafts/push & pull clutches etc.

Mick.