Importing a Spider

Started by cranberry, February 27, 2019, 06:48:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cranberry

Hi all,

Just looking for some feedback on a crazy idea I had. I've been noticing the price of series 3 and 4 Alfa Spiders is still crazy low in America. Prices are sub $10,000 whereas here they are verging on $30,000 for basically LHD cars that were converted. What are your thoughts on importing one from USA? I can get one imported for $5,500, all inclusive of all government costs and approvals. I've had a few quotes but the lowest cost ones do not include anything, just the shipping.

What are the pros and cons of owning a LHD Spider in Australia? Will it be viewed in a less favourable light than the converted RHD ones?

This is what I'm talking about: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-alfa-romeo-spider-4/

Thanks in advance.

Citroënbender

Go for it! Visibility is good in a DHC, so the side of driving doesn't matter so much.  Enjoy the savings and enjoy the driving.

As to value, it's illogical to price converted examples above unconverted; these cars are now able to be fully registered without conversion - why should a butchered car be worth more than an all-original one?

p.s. "Graduate" model; now I've got this earworm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jGWfVXtwd4

poohbah

I was a teenage indie music fan in the mid '80s/early '90s so preferred this version:

But sorry to drag this further off topic Cranberry, $5500 import cost for an all original car sounds reasonable, if you can find a rust free US car at a reasonable price.

In WA there are no restrictions registering LHD cars that are more than 25 years old. Just need to display a sign on rear windscreen stating its LHD. Don't know what regs are in your location.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Citroënbender

One day, PB, it will all make beautiful sense.  ;)  At least he doesn't want to drive a GTO and wear a uniform.

Craig_m67

There are restrictions in other states though...

Me, personally (my opinion) is that a LHD car will never be worth as much as a RHD regardless of condition.  Only vehicles that were only ever available as LHD seem to retain their value (750/101 cars.. or specials like the SZ Zagato, etc.).

There is very likely a RHD Spider somewhere in Australia, in just as reasonable a condition as the US that you can buy and restore without the palava of importing and limited resale.  I don't agree that cars are *that* much cheaper in the US.  Decent cars (rot free) are expensive as BAT (Bring a trailer) data shows.

That said, don't forget the South American cars... they're already RHD.  Quite a few in Aust.  This guy (Instagram) restores in S.A., might be able to help... https://www.instagram.com/p/BqFPUTyF6Mf/

And the UK.  I brought my 156 (JTD) home with me from the UK and the landed (import) cost was similar to what you're suggesting (i suspect it may be more once you research the asbestos issues suggested by others on this board) .

What's your actual budget, which model (series) do you prefer??
(Somebody probably has one in a shed....)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

cranberry

Thanks Craig. Did you mean South Africa?

I haven't thought about my budget. I guess under $20K including registration in SA all up seems reasonable and worth it for me. I guess if I could find one locally I would be interested but I haven't seen one under $30K for ages.

Keep in mind Spiders were never brought into Australia by Alfa Romeo so most that are here have been converted and in my mind inferior to the original product.

GTV-074

Are you talking about S3 and S4 spiders never having been imported to Australia?

Because duetto's, 1750 & 2000 spiders certainly were as RHD by Alfa Romeo.

Cheers,

Paul.
Speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?

Craig_m67

Hej,

Yes, I meant South Africa ... sitting here with a Brazilian, got confused (no it's not itchy ;) )

Paul is on the money, as I understand it the 105/115 Spiders were officially imported into Australia by Alfa with the exception of the last (series4).  These weren't made in RHD at all as I understand it, although several were converted in the UK by an officially sanctioned distributor.

I own a RHD '66 1600 Giulia Spider (Duetto, series1).. Alfa  confirmed its provenance (colour) and place of sale in Australia.
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

cranberry

My apologies. You are correct. I was thinking of the Fiat 124 Spider.

So it looks like it was only the Series 4 that was never made in RHD form so that's probably the one I will focus on.

Do you think there would be any interest for these in Australia?

Citroënbender

How's the market for Spitfire 1500s? ;)

rowan_bris

I don't there will be much interest.  When ever they have come up for sale here there has been little interest in them.  They kind of lost too much of the appeal of the early cars really.

Quote from: cranberry on February 28, 2019, 10:11:19 AM

So it looks like it was only the Series 4 that was never made in RHD form so that's probably the one I will focus on.

aggie57

Quote from: rowan_bris on February 28, 2019, 11:02:04 AM
I don't there will be much interest.  When ever they have come up for sale here there has been little interest in them.  They kind of lost too much of the appeal of the early cars really.

Quote from: cranberry on February 28, 2019, 10:11:19 AM

which is kind of why they're cheaper in the US.....
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

sprint speciale

When it comes to 105/115 Spiders anything between 1977 and 1994 (inclusive) was not factory produced in RHD.

Only series 1 (osso di seppia) and series 2 (coda tronca) were produced in RHD by the factory .

Everything else was converted by someone else.
1963 Giulia Sprint Speciale no. 796 Ruddspeed RHD
1964 Giulia Spider (restoration)
1968 1300 GT Junior
1969 1750 Spider Veloce (osso di seppia)
1974 Alfasud L
1978 Alfetta GTV
1984 Alfetta GTV 6
1999 GTV 6 (GTA Engine)
2001 Spider lusso
2006 V6 Q4 Brera (Supercharged)
2011 159 2.4 Sportswagon

cranberry

john m

Hi Cranberry
I agree that low US classic car prices are very tempting, but there are some pitfalls. Most notably Aust. Border Force which are applying zero tolerance to asbestos in older vehicles. I know of one private importer who has organised the removal of all brake linings, clutch and gaskets and pressure washing the underside of the car before leaving the US. The car had to be pushed or towed around the docks. You need to look into the issues before acting. Good luck. Some links below..
John
https://www.abf.gov.au/prohibited-goods-subsite/files/fs-asbestos-risk-importing-vehicle.pdf
https://www.dazmac.com.au/dazmac-develops-solution-to-asbestos-ban/
Now
84: GTV6 White-stock
84: Giulietta Red-club sprints
69: GTV1750 Red-on blocks
Then
71: Berlina 2000 man.-UK import